Power Smoothing

Hello,

I updated my smart trainer recently from the infamous Elite Drivo II (ERG mode just didn’t work properly) to a Cycleops Hammer2. First few rides were great, I could watch TV and forget about everything but my cadence. The workouts in TR showed a very smooth power line and the power was smooth when riding ie rarely moved up or down from target (I know this is not the true power but it’s cool coming from a Drivo II).

Today when I did a workout using the Hammer2, the power isn’t so smooth, not Drivo-like but not as smooth as the first couple of rides. And, no settings have changed.

I am using the iOS app version 2022.34.0.(92057) - I think this is my first ride on the new beta version released yesterday.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - Jim

Hey Jim, I’m just taking a look into this for you. I’ll circle back around :slight_smile:

Thanks so much Sarah - appreciate it!

Hey Jim,I took a look at your rides, and I see what you mean about today’s ride being slightly less smooth than your previous rides. We should be able to get to the bottom of this, though, so no sweat! I saw that your Power Smoothing setting is set to 10 seconds so that isn’t the issue here.I have a few questions for you:

1. One thing I note is that I don’t see a background recording of today’s ride, which is unusual. What is your internet connection like? Is it strong?
  2. Has anything changed with your set-up between Mono and Mount Field -1, when the power changed?
  3. Things to consider:
  • Gearing on your bike?
  • Settings on the trainer from within Saris’ app?
  • Firmware on the trainer
  • Training environment or surrounding devices
  1. Did you calibrate your trainer before doing Mount Field?

Thanks in advance if you can answer those questions for me. That will help us get to the bottom of this.

I have some suggestions below that should help. It sounds like you have a lot of devices in your training environment. Are you connecting your devices via Bluetooth? I suspect that the connection between your trainer and TrainerRoad was weaker today than it has been previously. This can cause funky trainer behaviour.The first thing to do is make sure that your trainer is not paired to any other device or app. This includes your phone’s internal Bluetooth Settings. Bluetooth devices can only pair to one receiver at a time, so if your trainer is pairing elsewhere, it will interfere with your connection to TrainerRoad. It would be best to completely switch off any other device you are not using while training. Likewise, I’d suggest you close out all other apps running in the background. Here’s how to do this on your iPhone 8 device:

• Double-click the Home button to show your most recently used apps.
  • Swipe right or left to find the app that you want to close.
  • Swipe up on the app’s preview to close the app.

Check out the article to see what steps you can take to strengthen the connection between your trainer and TrainerRoad: Bluetooth Smart (4.0) Troubleshooting

Finally, I’d like to address the trainer itself:

• Make sure to calibrate the trainer every time before riding - This will ensure the trainer’s internal power meter is reading correctly
  • Keep up with the trainer’s firmware - This will ensure the trainer is interfacing with TrainerRoad on the latest updates recommended by the manufacturer.
  • Unplug the trainer when not in use - This will make sure we don’t see any odd power corruption occur next time we go to ride.
  • Ride in an easier gear - This will make it easier for Erg mode to work. The harder gear we’re in, the more resistance the trainer needs to put out to regulate the power level of the rider

Give those steps a shot, and let me know how it goes! If you have any questions for me, shoot them this way!

1 Like

thanks Sarah for the comprehensive response! Here are the answers to the questions:

1. One thing I note is that I don’t see a background recording of today’s ride, which is unusual. What is your internet connection like? Is it strong?

Not sure anything changed between the days between Mono and Mount Field -1. I use the same room and the only other device I use whilst working out are Apple Airpods (which I used for both workouts I think).

1. Has anything changed with your set-up between Mono and Mount Field -1, when the power changed?

No set up changes between the workouts. When I completed Mount Field -1, I did calibrate as the power wasn’t as smooth AND i also updated the firmware post-ride.
The iOS version of TR I used on Mount Field updated between the two days I think (if you could check the release date of TR version 2022.34.0.(92057)?

Things to consider:

Gearing on your bike? 

Same gearing for both rides, one gear only throughout the ride

Settings on the trainer from within Saris’ app?

Changed no settings on the trainer prior to yesterday’s ride

Firmware on the trainer

As above, no change pre-ride

Training environment or surrounding devices

No change to the environment at all. Only the AirPods which I think I used both days however that is a test i can do myself :slight_smile:

Also, no devices other than the Elite Drivo II (unplugged) as the room is upstairs in my garage so it’s pretty much the TV, iphone, AirPods and Hammer 2 trainer!

thanks again