Power Meters for MTB

If you haven’t seen, we have a decent topic to review:

2 Likes

I also got this advice when looking for a PM. Went for it, quite cheap for what it does, and it’s been working flawlessly since.

Big thread, bit too much to read. Any crank / spider / bottom bracket options that do two sided (major injury to one leg, power very uneven) and can handle a 2x drivetrain?

Thanks.

Edit - I leave pedal based out of that because I ride with flats.

Thanks, yup that was my first option (post 300), was just looking into other options…i still haven’t pulled the trigger on this mind you.

Just leaving this here, expensive though:

Thanks, that’s a bit ridiculous though. I could put together a set using the Duo Shi for less than half that.

Power2max NGeco with the L/R balance upgrade (I think it’s an extra $50 software upgrade?) might be a good option. Anything based out of the spider can’t really give you L/R balance because there aren’t separate strain measurements for the two sides. Instead, it’s estimated based on which pedal is in front and receiving downward force. However, with flat pedals that’s a pretty good data source.

What estimated L/R balance doesn’t give you (but I’m not entirely sure I get with my Favero Assiomas, either) is “interference”: for example when your left foot is on the downstroke, how much your right foot is resisting the left foot (reducing net power to the spider). No spider-based power meter can detect that, so if that’s your specific concern then your options are going to be separate L/R crank power meters.

3 Likes

I looked at P2M, have a 3 bolt SRAM crank as well. I opted for Sigeyi, half the price, works like a charm. Few minutes to fit. Moved away from the direct mount as well so it opened up a massive range of chainrings which were not an option previously. FItted a 36T oval now.

1 Like

Thanks @matthew.weigel . Any idea if those support 2x Shimano 11 Speed (XT / XTR)?

I had a look at their site and found it a bit overwhelming (not so good at the technical stuff!).

I am not entirely sure, and it at least partially depends on your bottom bracket. You might reach out to them about it? Sorry I don’t have a definitive answer.

Ugh, that sucks.

I think your best bet are either pedal-based power meters or to use a Stages/4iiii power meter.

Sadly neither Stages or 4iii support 2x, at least for XT / XTR. I’ll contact P2M and see what they say.

I know flats can be potentially done with the Assioma Duo Shi, but I haven’t seen anyone post about a compatible pedal body yet.

Really? Why? The left crank arm should care how many chain rings are attached to the right one. Or are you talking about a dual-sided power meter?

Yes, my original post asked for dual sided options as a major injury to one of my legs has left me with extremely uneven power.

1 Like

Hijacking to ask for recommendations on what power meter would be compatible with my Trek Fuel EX 5: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/fuel-ex/fuel-ex-5-deore/p/33073/

I have a preference for the least expensive option as long as it isn’t total crap.

Either Stages or 4iiii have an XT crank arm that should fit.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s what was tripping me up - my shimano crankset is called “MT”, but you’re saying an XT will be compatible with it? That is great.

1 Like

Yup because they both use the Hollowtech II set up. MT511 is just a more basic crank and probably weighs a bit more…XT is a higher range but should work no problem.

I will need to verify, but I want to say the XT crank arm did not fit on the MT511 crankset that came on my Procaliber.

I recall the MT511 crank arm being “fatter” than the XT arm at the spindle, and it was not possible to preload the XT arm against the bearing.

1 Like

That’s a bummer! Do know if clearance for the pod on the crank would be OK though? Power meters get expensive quick…if it doesn’t fit the MT511, you could get a new crank @ REI with 20% off. Might end up being cheaper than single sided Garmin SPD :thinking::man_shrugging: