Power Meters for MTB

Ah, ok. Yes, then your only option is a pedal-based power meter.

1 Like

To be honest, I’ll probably never be able to do much about the difference… but I do know that if I had to take either the left / right side power and double it, it’ll be miles off!

Anyone running the SRM X-Power MTB pedals? I’m considering these for my cross bike that is generally now used as a gravel bike. I recall DC Rainmaker said they had some battery issues early on that SRM said would be fixed. Wondering how that panned out. Thanks.

Not sure you have seen it, or if there is much feedback from actual users, but there is a lengthy topic on the pedals that is worth a look:

I did the Assioma mod to have flat pedals, because im new to mountain biking and dont trust myself clipped in yet

1 Like

Thanks Chad.

Still not sure if it’s worth the coin but seeing some of the issues have been ironed out is helpful.

1 Like

Any hot tips on a 30T chainring for power2max (104 bcd). I think further up the thread it was mentioned that the standard Praxis 30T won’t fit but a Garbaruk will.

Anyone running any other brands 30T ring? (Garbaruk not very available in UK). I’m looking at Hope Retainer ring but not sure if it will work. Otherwise i might just size up to 32T.

[Edit] Decided to just size up slightly after reading this thread. Just got to hope i have enough chain, hopefully ok since such a small change.

I just received my 4iiii factory installed meter on my XX1 carbon cankset. I’ll used it on my MTB and gravel bike. It has been spot on with the meter in my H3 trainer. Haven’t been able to get it outdoors yet, elbow injury. :smiling_face_with_tear: I got the new version and it is really slim and low profile. For the price, you can’t beat it.

1 Like

I use the Garbaruk but had toyed with the idea of going to a 32t ring like you did. The Garbaruk is the only 30t that I know of that works. It has a 1mm offset toward the bike to allows chain clearance to the power meter. I was concerned about moving the chainline in but it shifts just as well as the stock ring. I may still go to a 32t ring since I never use the ultra lower ratios but run out of gear when on paved roads with a negative grade.

1 Like

Great info! I found out the hard way that a standard 30t doesn’t fit a quarq power meter with 104bcd. Or an oval 32! Garbaruk do have some good solutions. The offset is listed as 1mm, which is more palatable than 3mm.

Has anyone had success with the Garbaruk 30t on a quarq power meter?

You are correct. I don’t know where I got 3mm from but 1mm is correct. Corrected my original post. You might ask Power Meter City about the Quarq. They were very helpful and knowledgeable when I was shopping for my P2M.

Hi,

looking to add a PM to my 2018 Canyon Exceed:

• BB: GXP Pressfit
  • Crank: SRAM X1 EAGLE Carbon, 12s, X-SYNC™ tooth profile, Direct mount chainring, 24 mm axle

I’ve been quite happy with my Quarq PM on another bike - for the XX 1Eagle PM, am I reading it right that I’d need a new bottom bracket and potentially new cranks as well to fit this?
Assuming GXP and DUB are not compatible?

Otherwise might be looking at Sigeyi, which most people seem to be quite happy with?

No problem using your cranks with Sigeyi AXO or Power2Max NGeco, since both offer a sram 3-bolt direct mount spider. You’d have to choose boost or non-boost depending on your bike, and also buy a chainring (104BCD). Quarq is not an option without new cranks I believe.

2 Likes

Has anyone succesfully mounted a quarq spider pm to canecreeks eewings? I know it’s the same mounting standard but don’t know if there’s enough clearance for the spider because the cranks are so thicc. Before I take two bikes apart I just wanted to quickly ask if someone’s done it before. Thanks

I don’t have an answer for you, but wanted to point out that most quarq spider PMs are SRAM 8 bolt now. Make sure you get a SRAM 3-bolt spider.

Thank you for the heads up. I already have both a quarq spider with xx1 cranks and the wings. Wanted to take off the spider and put it on the wings. I‘m 90% sure the spider has that 3 bolt interface but it looks like I have to try it out as I can’t find any info online. Might write CaneCreek an email on monday.

If it’s 3-bolt I’m sure it will work. The spider is designed with clearance for the crank arm and eeWings aren’t that different from any other arm.

But quarq has been using 8 bolt since 2016 by my research: PM cranksets came with 8 bolt crank arms even while standard cranks were all 3 bolt.

1 Like

I appreciate your help and alas I was wrong…

Bummer. For the eeWings, you could go with a Sigeyi spider for about $370 if I recall. They work great.

3 Likes