1 Like

They exist

4 Likes

Ouch on the $$$ for those flat pedals!

3 Likes

$1100 singe sided! Ouch!

Okay, I take it back.

3 Likes

That’s what I do indoors! Looks kooky as hell. But am running road bike + flat pedals on the trainer!
P.s. I cannot find a statistically important difference between workouts/tests with clipless versus flats for myself! Believe some of the research has confirmed it too, that clipless isn’t actually more efficient

2 Likes

Ok I’m now in the market, any options to fit existing chainset (Sram Eagle X01 (Dub, Boost)) that don’t break the bank?

Power2Max NG-Eco looks like the go-to but the price is still quite high and in the UK I’m faced with having to buy direct from EU and getting hit with import fees and taxes.

I have a 4iiii (105) on my road bike for years that i can’t really fault, if that fit I’d be happy. I’m sure 4iiii used to do sram cranks, does anyone know why they stopped?

I suppose my other option is to switch over to shimano then go 4iiii or stages, but once i factor in the new chainset I’m probably back up at Power2Max money.

Just get a Quarq power meter. They just work. And you already have a top-end groupset with the right crank.

4 Likes

This is the way. :point_up_2:t3:

4 Likes

Thing is I looked at Quarq and I don’t believe I have the right crank :frowning: It seems that their PMs use non-standard 8-bolt mount rather than the standard 3-bolt which I have, so I’d need to add XX1 8-bolt crankset as well at around £300 just for the arms. Call me cynical but this seems like a ploy to get people to buy new crank arms.

I thought all higher-end SRAM cranks are Quarq compatible. I reckon you need to get new chain rings, yes, but I do not expect that you will need new crank arms.

1 Like

My apologies, I thought it was X01 but it’s actually X1 (?). Still thought it was pretty high end though. I’ve swapped chainrings before on this set and it’s definitely 3-bolt:

1 Like

no, it is all or nothing. Unless you have a “power-ready” crank. Never seen them, probably an oem thing.
You cannot even use your chainrings since it is direct mount vs 104 bcd.
But, Quarq cranks are reasonably priced. If you manage to sell your non-power crank you are still better off against Garmin pedals for example.
Now, who buys a high end carbon crank without a power meter? People with xc200 pedals? A small market. Mine is still in the drawer because selling it at a good price is impossible.

1 Like

So the X1 is not power-ready? That’d be a douche move. I thought all higher-level cranks were power ready. :face_with_monocle: :slightly_frowning_face:

Yeah, I suspect even the standard XX1 isn’t ‘power-ready’ though I could be mistaken on that, maybe someone with that crank can confirm.

It seems like a situation completely contrived by Quarq / Sram. I’d love to know their rationale on moving to 8-bolt. Power2Max and SRM both seem to manage fine with the 3-bolt standard:

Correct, the normal XX1 is not compatible with the Quarq. I had XX1 already but I had to purchase a new XX1 crankset.

3 Likes

Yeah, that SRAM SCAM is the key reason I got the P2Max option. I could have upgraded from my X01 cranks to that nicer XX1, but the fact that they restrict it to that and only that on the MTB side is pure and absolute BS.

They have far more options on the road side and it makes no possible sense with the MTB restrictions they put in place. Despite having a decent EP discount, it still made no economical sense to replace the cranks compared to the P2M spider/ring upgrade. Maybe SRAM will come to their senses some day, but their system is kind of rubbish on the MTB side right now.

5 Likes

Sigeyi

3 Likes

Interesting, hadn’t considered that but will have a look. Thanks.

1 Like