Post Surgery Training

Hi there- first time on forum so don’t shoot me if I do something wrong here. I’ve recently had shoulder/torn bicep tendon surgery (4 weeks post op) and have been getting on my trainer and doing random workouts on TR. I’d like to start on a TR plan, but I know that I can’t currently (and not for another month) grip the bar with my injured arm. (I ride with a standing table near me so I can rest my elbow on that side which takes 100% of the bicep out of the equation. Works really well! So question is- should I just continue with random workouts, or, jump into a training plan knowing that on the hard intervals I simply won’t be able to give it my all due to only holding on with one arm. (this also applies to a FTP or RAMP test- hard to really go for it with one arm on the bars). Any thoughts on this from the forum would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I road on the trainer 1 week post r shoulder labrum repair I had 4 anchors put in. I did easy stuff for first week. Then increased intensity, I also couldn’t grip the bar with that arm so I just kept it to 30-45min. I think I was on the road after 6 weeks and crashed at week 7.

I would move at your own pace. I always felt less pain in the shoulder after the ride

3 Likes

You could start a traditional base plan and keep intensity low that way.

3 Likes

This 100%.

1 Like

Thanks!

I’m 12 weeks out from total knee replacement. Totally different surgeries; however, I highly recommend Kelly Starett’s surgery series on YouTube.. His surgery was after mine and I found this series about 7-8 weeks into my recovery but very good stuff here.

Google him if you’re not familiar with his background/experience, He has worked with several TDF cyclists.

Know Kelly well. I find that he doesn’t load joints enough typically. Check out Tyler Nelson- smartest guy I’ve ever met about recovery and loading.

@ABG, I’m wondering how our labrum surgery has ended up? I just found out I tore mine 6 weeks ago. I’ve been able to mountain bike and road ride(even done a few rollerskis), but it’s been weak.
Just this past week, I went in and got an MRI to discover I tore my left labrum from a rear dislocated shoulder from a mtb fall.
How long before you felt you had full strength? I’m hoping to still get full strength and compete at the masters level in xc skiing this winter either through PT or surgery + PT.

I had my operation in july and was playing basketball 3 months later. I have noticed some movements have caused the repair to catch, this is mostly in my follow through on my shot. I didnt get to go to PT for 6 weeks since I have 4 anchors to hold mine together from a dislocation. I played basketball for 18 months with it damaged, it slowly kept getting worse forcing my hand. If you want to race this winter I would lean on PT and seeing if you can make it through and have the operation in the spring, I was back riding at 6 weeks, and cycling doesnt really bother the shoulder.

I have stayed away from a lot of movement overhead as I dont want to burden the joint. I have 2 friends who are both doing really well and they had the operation at the same time. One guy competed in pan american games in olympic lifting, so 100% can happen.

1 Like

When I had major surgery in 2019, I dropped my FTP by 45w overnight (I was 3kg lighter so that was circa 11%). Whilst it was pre TR, I kept my original coaching plan so I had a target to focus on. In the longer term lol, that target due to the international c thing has moved 3 times but I was strongest I had ever been for the original date. If I had to have surgery again and the docs ok’d it, that would be my tactic again; dropping my FTP/ intensity by an arbitrary amount but sticking to a plan for focus.