Podcast Request: Negative Health Effects of High Carbohydrate Diets

Also, maybe I’m giving Nate too much credit, but I don’t think it was a box of Coco Pops :man_shrugging:.

Pretty much anytime you see Nate share what he’s fueling “off the bike” with it’s air fried vegetables something. Reasonably far from gels and Lucky Charms.

Was I taking Chad too literally when I keep using beer as a recovery drink. Bodhizafa is so good though

2 Likes

Yeah, dude talks about eating black beans and vegetables all the time, but for some reason people seem to take the box of cereal as being representative of the entire podcast’s stance on nutrition. One meal usually doesn’t tell the story of someone’s entire diet especially independent of context, and extrapolating that to recommendations for the general population can be pretty misleading.

Food is only positive or negative relative to your energy demands, and if you want advice on your specific case you should consult a licensed professional.

4 Likes
  • True for all foods other than bacon :bacon:

• That heavenly stuff is ALWAYS positive :drooling_face:

1 Like

So I should not have switched to a Popeyes-only diet a couple of years ago??? I’ve made a terrible, but yummy, mistake.

3 Likes

While the crew do advocate carbs for on-the-bike fueling, there is a difference between on-the-bike fueling, and overall DIET. And when it comes to overall diet, they pretty consistently advocate for whole foods, protein, etc. They are not advocating for highly refined sugars off the bike.

When it comes to off-the-bike, carb loading before a 9 hour endurance event such as Leadville is also a special case. That episode is seared into my memory, but I don’t recall Nate doing cereal slams before a 1 hour crit.

But you make a very good point - sometimes this distinction between on-the-bike and off-the-bike nutrition gets lost in the noise, and could so with some continual reinforcement.

1 Like

It’s not hard: don’t eat it if you aren’t going to use it.

Haven’t read or heard anyone eating a cup of sugar for dinner or a handful gels for breakfast. Also haven’t seen any pros eating a bowl of oatmeal or steamed broccoli mid-race.

Fast carbs when you are going fast; slow carbs when you are going slow.

4 Likes

Theres also issues with podcasts, hosts and audience interaction in general. Yes the purpose of the podcast is to get advice on all things cycling related. BUT there’s also a huge chunk of entertainment required to keep an audience entertained and tuning in week after week. Personal stories are shared and jokes had which audience members can easily mistake for the advice being issued. Its such a fine line to walk and I for one think that the TR team do an admirable job of it.

4 Likes

Was this thread why Nate and Jonathan’s Insta stories were about fuel the work the other day?

Definitely agree with the OP it’s a worthy topic.
I’d say it’s been covered plenty of times, but maybe not directly.

Maybe things like are there dangers to over fueling on easier workouts, dangers of over fueling if you’re in danger of developing diabetes?

This is an assumption combined with some sarcasm, nice. Just because it makes sense does not make it true, especially when the machine is the human body.

The OP made reference to health effects, not necessarily obesity-related concerns. There is mounting anecdotal and clinical evidence to suggest that things like NASH and heart-disease are not strictly related to obesity, i.e. just because you have a good body comp does not mean you are “healthy”. I think that there needs to be some discussion about potentially trashing your liver with extreme diets (and make no mistake, they are extreme) before they can be so enthusiastically embraced.

I actually think Nate does a good job making sure everyone knows his diet and other practices are not some TR-condoned approach lol. He doesn’t give some official disclaimer, but I think a reasonable person can listen to him and understand that he is min/max-ing a lot and making personal decisions that are entirely his own. My reference was more to the “rocket fuel” as I believe it was called on the podcast last week.

It is interesting to me that the entire context has shifted such that “refined” seems to be referenced above as gels and mixes or other engineered energy supplements. Let’s remember that refined foods includes things like white bread, tortillas, white rice, pasta, flavored yogurt, pancakes, waffles, etc. It is not just adding glucose and fructose to a bottle.

6 Likes

Sorry there’s little belief in science. :man_shrugging:t2:

So…which statement is true? :man_facepalming:t2:

Careful with your word choice. You mention the Air***** two more times and it summons @Nate_Pearson deep dive into every type of ***er available :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So this is actually the point of the post, to disambiguate these sort of self-reinforcing assumptions…

…from something such as a study including dietary tagged glucose to see what ends up getting burned in the muscle. This is the sort of thing that had people eating cauliflower, broccoli, and mineral water during training for decades and ignoring what their bodies were screaming at them.

The snark here is humorous but off-topic and bordering on personal

This is the usual nonsense of ignoring context, well-done with the copy and paste :slight_smile:

See above re: questioning assumptions to return this thread to intended topic.

1 Like