So I did my first crit last week and have the bug now. There is a big crit race coming up in 4 weeks, which is the week before my A Event which happens to be a 40KM TT. I really wanted to have a good crack at it.
I am currently working on closing out the 40KM TT Speciality Phase.
I am looking for some coaching guidance here as I wanted to sharpen my legs up a bit for the Crit race. Do you think:
a. Stick to the TT plan and don’t change anything
b. Sprinkle in some speciality phase rides from the crit plan e.g. some high intensity VO2 max intervals and over/under
c. Change the plan up to the crit plan
d. take up CX racing instead
I have been training for several years now with structured training through TR and am fairly fit at 42 at around 3.7 watts per kg.
So post didn’t get much of a response
I do want to share some of my experiments with you all just in case you experience the same thing.
Firstly, Plan builder is awesome! There’s a couple things that stood out for me when planning for a 5 week duration with 2 very different events a week apart - state crit and state TT.
- Just coming off a rest week it stuck another rest week after the first weeks block. I don’t think I needed that so I filled it with another week of build that I copied from the generic general build plan
- Plan builder put another ramp test after the first rest week and I swapped that day for a proper workout
- Given I am doing a crit first one week and then TT the following I chose for Medium Volume Build and tweaked plan builder by selecting Rolling Road Race as my A event to get a mix of high intensity short bursts plus some endurance work.
- I substituted a Saturday workout for a race simulation crit - Nevada I think it’s called. Given I haven’t done many crits and I want some sims to get me used to the short sharp bursts and then settling into some painful endurance
- Plan builder is so good. It Did my race openers also but I switched the rolling road race versions for the Crit and TT editions that plan builder gives
Choose your own adventure y’all