Over 50's triathletes

Exactly this…which is why I was asking WW how many miles / week he is currently running. I’d be willing to bet that if he took that same mileage, and used a BarryP plan, reduced daily mileage, combined with the consistency of the plan will yield positive results, especially if he is heavier runner.

Same, except I am pretty lean. But my engine allows me to run faster than my body can tolerate. The analogy I use that that I have a big engine, but the body is rusted and the frame is weak. :crazy_face: It took me years to figure out that if I wanted to run (and eventually run fast), I had to run slow. Once I got on the BarryP plan, my injury rate dropped considerably (and were less severe).

1 Like

Finishing an IM without fading is as much, if not more, about executing pacing and nutrition well as it is about training volume. I ran even splits in my first IM, and my run split was relatively my best leg (compared to my AG and the overall field) despite me being a better cyclist than runner, having an average running volume of about 25mpw, and having never run further than 20 miles before. Simple reason being that the thought of doing my first ever marathon with 112 miles of cycling already in my legs had me worried enough to pace the bike leg and the start of the run pretty conservatively and make sure I had enough left in the tank to finish well. I’ve seen the opposite plenty of times as well - I know some great runners who have recorded some really underwhelming run times in long distance triathlon and ended up walking a lot of it because they underestimated the impact the cycling leg would have and set off too fast.

If you want to do a fast IM run on the BarryP plan then yes you need to put in more than 30mpw. But that’s true of any IM training plan unless maybe you come from a running background and can “fake” the run on relatively low mileage thanks to having put in years of high mileage previously.

1 Like

The way I look at it: -

I have 10-12 training sessions per week Giving 6 over to running is just not a good allocation of those sessions.

1 Like

By the standards of normal people I’m pretty lean, by the standards of runners and mountain goats on bikes I’m some kind of chunky body builder!

The way I look at it is that there are loads of places I can easily squeeze in a quick, easy 20-30 minute run. The moment I wake up, lunch time, after a bike/swim, etc. There’s almost no down time associated with running - no tires to pump up, no lights to charge, no trip to and from the pool, no fans to adjust, no TR app to fire up and sync, just pull on your trainers and shorts and go. Worst case is 5 minutes for a shower after the run, and if you run first thing in the morning or after a bike/swim when you’d need a shower anyway then not even that.

1 Like