Off the bike workout with SSB training

Hello!

I’m going to start SSB training after my new bike fit next week.

My goal is to get back to racing shape after almost 4 solid years off the bike. However the last 2 years I’ve been exercising regularly, just not cycling.

I am wondering if doing weight training exercises like farmers walks and sled work in the days in between the TR rides would lead to overtraining.

I’m leaning towards that yes it would. My wife and I do DDP Yoga 2-3 times a week in the morning and I have a Revolution Fit balance board I play with from time to time.

Thoughts? My initial reaction is to just focus on the SSB (and only include some core and yoga work) to ensure my first training plan goes as smoothly as possible.

Then I can see later on about adding additional exercises or just leave the weight training for the fall and winter months.

By the way, I do have a pretty physical job of slinging around drums of hazardous waste all day too that I need to consider.

Any thoughts and guidance appreciated!

Trainerroad seems to recommend keeping your rest/recovery days sacrosanct. In other words, do your strength training on the same day you do your intervals. Numerous podcasts have addressed weight training during the base phase. Can’t say I’ve ever heard them talk about sled dragging and farmer’s walks though… :slight_smile:

trainerroad weight training - YouTube

1 Like

I’m going to start listening to those podcasts. :smile:

Best thing of sled work is that there is no eccentric motion (lowering phase) where the most muscle damage tends to occur.