Oatmeal at night - my experience so far

A lot of the recipes I’ve seen online use milk instead of yogurt (I imagine whatever kind you like would be fine.)
I’ve also swapped out part of the milk for some strong coffee or tea. Goes pretty well with most flavours and the caffeine is a bonus (though maybe not before bed, as the post suggests :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

I use oat milk or almond milk 2 to 1 ratio (1 cup “milk” 1/2 cup oats) and then add 1/2 cup of either pumpkin puree or applesauce depending on the exact flavor I’m going for. I add in ground or whole flax and chia seeds and it thickens up nicely. Add berries or banana or seeds/nuts ahead or when you eat it, just changes texture a bit. I also put a little bee pollen in morning of to add texture.

Have also experimented with adding instant arabic coffee - it was delicious

1 Like

Oatmeal with olive oil, salt and pepper is a great savory option. Try it, you’ll be surprised.

1 Like

It’s funny to see my topic still alive. I actually fell off the wagon and haven’t been doing this oatmeal thing since Feb. I’m in the last week of SSB2 HV at the moment and aside from Saturday I’ve had really solid workouts with nothing in the morning but my coffee and not really eating anything but my typical diet during the day (so no special oatmeal at night or anything). My FTP is 285 right now and I was training at 295 in jan so it’s possible I was slightly over the target (or maybe I’m under right now lol)

I have been adding greek yogurt to my oatmeal, no need for milk.

A beaten egg does really well also. Makes the oatmeal kinda creamy/custardy. Oatmeal has to be pretty wet before you mid in the egg though so it does just set up firm.

1 Like

soy sauce and a fried egg is good too! and some green onions/sesame oil if you’re fancy

Do you microwave all ingredients, or cook only-oats then add remaining ingredients?

Sometimes microwaving it for 30-45 seconds will warm and help soften the oats. Other times I’ll eat it cold, depends on my mood.

My go to dessert these days is

1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal cooked in microwave then…
add 100-150 grams frozen berries
add 15 grams whey protein
mix thoroughly
microwave a further 1 minute

3 Likes

Also good in porridge soaked overnight ready for breakfast. I have this every morning:

Porridge oats
Kefir
Sunflower and pumpkin seeds
Chia seeds
Linseed
Teaspoon of cocoa powder
Blueberries
One beaten egg
One tablespoon of Udo’s ultimate blend oil

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Cover and place in the fridge to soak overnight. No need to heat up, just eat as is. Delicious.

Is this for overnight oats (if so…is it raw egg then), or mix beaten egg into saucepan of Porriage as you cook it?

Yup, as you cook it. Or, more precisely, I generally turn off the heat, and stir in the beaten egg into the hot, cooked oats off the heat. The oats themselves will cook the egg through.

If you leave the heat on hot enough when you add the eggs…you just end up with oatmeal with scrambled eggs, which is way less good than a thick, creamy, oat custard.

1 Like

whack some vanilla and raisins in there and it’s pretty close to rice pudding.

(sidenote: you can also do a similar thing with leftover rice. :wink: )

i do this for overnight oats

• instant coffee, brown sugar, oats, chia seeds, boiling water
  • mix, let stand for a few minutes
  • add milk and mix
  • lid on, whack in the fridge

a good pre ride eat for those early morning starts, the caffeine has definitely helped me hit higher numbers in the early mornings

I actually do that too. Cinnamon, vanilla, brown sugar…some broken up walnuts too.

Try ginger with the cinnamon, it adds a little spicy kick. Good respiratory properties too.

Sounds amazing - porriage custard!!!

I feel strange- my favourite is plain oatmeal porridge sprinkled with salt. I always eat this at night before sleeping. Restful sleep!

This will change your life Gentlemen, get a rice cooker with a Steel Cut Oats setting and timer. I recommend the Zojirushi and pair with quality oats, if you are in the US, Aniston Mills from SC is great. Mix Water, Oats and Salt night before and set timer; warm, delicious, perfectly cooked oats ready when you are.

6 Likes