NorCal Cycling: Couch to Crit

Just saw his latest video where he’s taking somebody from couch to crit racing. They’ll be using TrainerRoad and group workouts which will be cool. Looking forward to the series since I’ve been wanting to get into racing and need all the help I can get.

33 Likes

When he said about the SL7 I thought Jeff had done a great job with the sponsors…

5 Likes

Just watched the intro video. Really looking forward to this series :+1:

2 Likes

This looks fun!

Looks great thanks for sharing!

This will be a great watch I think

Curious about the timing, though. 12 weeks of base (base 1 and 2), 8 weeks of build, 8 weeks of specialty. Grand total of 7 months puts them at August/Sept… I guess in time for autumn crits, if they happen?

EDIT: Thinking about it, that actually probably makes sense. Given COVID numbers and vaccination rates, spring racing is definitely not going to happen in the USA, so if it’s going to happen at all it’ll be in the autumn probably…

1 Like

Yeah I totally bought it, I hope he was in on it or that was super harsh lol.

2 Likes

Meh, considering he got a full closet of gear + a full cupboard of gels and products, I wouldn’t shed a tear :stuck_out_tongue: … If someone wants to send me all that stuff, I’ll be the butt of an SL7 joke too

7 Likes

I literally lmao’d when he said that.

2 Likes

We are all weak AF! :dizzy_face:

still norcal but apologies for the side track.

3 Likes

Jeff does a great job with his content, and it’s awesome to see him trying something new! Hoping that his “subject” stays motivated and dedicated. My only worry is that he’s starting with someone with zero racing experience. I understand the “couch fitness” as a baseline though. But as most of us know, it takes a very certain type of attitude and mentality to really enjoy bike/crti racing. And as fun as it can look from the outside, it isn’t for everyone, and you might not fully understand what all is involved/on the line until you are in it. I almost wonder if it would have been better to take someone who has raced, and knows they love it, but is struggling as a CAT 4/5, versus someone who has never taken a corner at 25mph+ in a group of 50 others… Regardless of that, I’m sure Jeff has thought it through, and has his reasons. I have no doubt he’ll make the journey informative and entertaining.

edit. and with all that said, I do find it really valuable that he’s trying to help a new person get into racing. And that message and information is probably more important than anything else. While cycling as a whole seems to be doing well, it’s undeniable that racing has been on the decline. The Norcal racing scene loses races off the calendar for good every year, and in our very local scene where five years ago it wasn’t uncommon to have a new young face or two turn up for a “drop ride” it’s now more or less the same crew every season.

6 Likes

I’m assuming that Jeff has sort of done this sort of thing before as a coach.

I also wonder if they guy who volunteered to be the subject of this series has other athletic background that might make him a better fit for racing? Maybe he hasn’t done a lot of cycling but he’s done track or something else where he understands the efforts needed to get involved in terms of commitment and training.

4 Likes

I wish practice crits were on right now :frowning:

4 Likes

I might have missed this part but, I don’t think they’ve defined what success looks like, yet. There’s plenty of wiggle room. It’ll be interesting to see what they focus on.

At the end of the day, we all know that a competitive FTP is only half of the game.

2 Likes

South Australia!

1 Like

I’m concerned that this guy just quit riding last summer because there were no races. He’s not showing that he has the long game mentality for cycling. He may be genetically gifted enough to get in shape for cat 5 in short order though.

It will be interesting to see if he can develop the racing skills. I raced for six years and was good at crits. It took me a few years to get to the point where I could ride in the top 15-20 for the whole race in a field of 80-100 guys. My two team mates never developed that skill. They were always mid-packers. And not because they weren’t strong but because they couldn’t navigate the peloton and be in a position for a shot at an actual placing.

1 Like

FYI, Jeff has a Q&A on this series at 9 am pst today (in 20 minutes) if you want to ask all these questions

2 Likes

The q&a was a little boring. But this series was the dudes idea and he seems to understand the sponsorship game. He’s promoting a good amount of product and TR features.

3 Likes

We never heard what he meant by quit. Did he quit cycling all together or just the structure? I quit on structured training too back in March.I got hit by 2 back to back bouts of illness and saw there would be no racing and I did not resume with structured training. Instead I just rode z2 low z3 for less than 3 hours all summer long (some exceptions). Then in September the bike went into the Little Shop of Power and I’m mowing down training plans and setting ramp test PRs.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how quick he picks up the ins and out of Crit racing. It takes a bit to develop the skills and nerve to to slip through those openings to get to a gap. I’m starting to develop that, I was road racing and the guy in front of me left a 1.5 bike length gap in front of him. I was on the inside and I wanted to get into that gap. I went over on the very edge of the road and got around him and filled in that gap, there wasn’t much room for error or maneuver, but I made the pass! Probably a month prior I would not have done that.

I really like the fact that the whole thing seems to be an open process. You can follow Logans’ progress here: LOGAN - TR Plan(s)

Sure, they’re going to be doing things away from TR but, I really got the impression that Jeff believes in the TR Plans and workouts. For me, that’s another ringing endorsement.

IMO, regardless of the end result(s), I think Logan will see this through and it’ll be interesting to see the highs and lows, as he progresses.

3 Likes