NEWS: The Sufferfest Has Just Become "WAHOO SYSTM"

:joy:They’ve missed a trick there.

But in answer to your question: Yes. I took delivery of a Kickr yesterday and my 14 day free trial of SYSTM had 60 days added to it with no input needed at all, which I must admit is pretty slick.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure you get a trial of systm with a kickr. I bought a kickr snap about a month ago and didn’t activate my trial, then logged in when systm launched out of curiosity.

Long story short, I now have a 75 day trial for systm. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah I wondered why I got 72 days :joy:

That’s good to know, because there was a time when GCN was up there with the best cycling content anywhere, and then it just became complete doggy-poo. I hope it recovers.

3 Likes

I love(d) Sufferfest. It’s not to everyone’s liking, the whole ‘pain’ and ‘suffering’ and such is a bit over the top - but I loved the quirky, sometimes slightly edgy personality. It had character.

The new app is…not that. Bland, corporate, stale. I suppose adding more sports makes it ‘better’, but it just lacks personality. And don’t even get me started on the name, which is just awful.

I can see people using it more but liking it less and eventually moving to other options. Brand engagement is real.

5 Likes

Totally agree. I really loved the whole ‘suffer’ ethos.
Doesn’t look particularly inviting now.

1 Like

Kinda going after TR in a way, but in a bigger way I think they’re trying to go after TrainingPeaks.

2 Likes

They’re going to need a ton of plan and calendar improvements before they get close. Right now they’re… not good.

2 Likes

Hope so. Never been a TP user besides the free version and wish wahoo luck. If TR actually did something besides cycling, improved the analytics, and showed some triathlon love it might change things slightly.

3 Likes

T’Knwldg, if you’re Lancastrian.

4 Likes

:rofl: amazing! :joy:

Long time Sufferfest user grateful for the great results and support, but this stupid corporate move was a giant turn off for me. Cancelled subscription, (well trying to cancel)… Just like the new software the cancellation feature is poorly executed and unable to self cancel, so I reached out to whatever support team is left… I guess they’re cleaning house. Might have to call the bank and cancel the credit card if they got rid of their support team too.

1 Like

Long time TrainerRoad user here too – and past Sufferfest user (2015? 2016 maybe? when I used both TR and SUF).

I do find it somewhat curious that folks on the TR forum are complaining about the ‘stale’ or ‘dull’ face of a new Sufferfest. Goodness gracious, the whole ethos and design philosophy of TrainerRoad is literally less is more . So now, when the majority us stare at the BBOD (blue blocks of doom everyday) and SUF suddenly goes ‘less’, we all miss the lava fields, dinosaurs, and edgy side of Hell Hath No Fury. :slight_smile:

I’ll give David McQuillen credit: SUF was a pretty unique product with a devoted following - and he has/had a strong ex-TrainerRoad founder on his staff. I wish him, the SUF team, and Wahoo the best of success with their new product. It’s a tough market.

Me? I’m sticking with the blue blocks of doom.

8 Likes

The difference I see in your “dull” comparison is that TR has only ever been, and essentially always promised to be “dull”. They have also said to “bring your own entertainment”.

SUF started with and cultivated an edgy personality and real character of their video workouts and the environment around it, including a fake country.

I see the current complaints as a result of the sanitized changes that seem to have taken place. It’s not that dull is specifically the issue, but more the loss of prior attitude that was unique and engaging.

My only experience with SUF was the old, sold vids, so I may be off base since I gave had any use of that for many years.

5 Likes

Just tried the app again for the first time in a while. Still no powermatch and still really buffer-y videos, which is a shame because the range of content is pretty good.

After two years of PowerMatch I kept feeling it didn’t feel right, tried resistance (slope mode) and now think a lot of people would be better off without it. Controversial opinion, I know, but consider what DCRainmaker had to say in the 2020 edition of the DCRainmaker Cycling Trainer App Guide:

For what its worth I’m not the only one. My solution to the multiple power meter issue (however minor or major) was to simply record power from my crank power meter and use standard/resistance mode on the Kickr.

1 Like

From a branding standpoint, the name SYSTM is better than “Sufferfest”. I honestly ended up joining Traineroad because I thought Sufferfest is just full of extreme hard workouts for the hardcore athlete who likes to suffer. :joy: So I thought, Sufferfest isn’t for me. Changing their name definitely makes the program sounds friendlier to the mass mortal people.

5 Likes

With sufferfest in particular, I do think their appeal over other services was primarily due to the ethos or ‘niche’ it occupied and the community that cultivated, so it’s sort of inevitable that many users will feel alienated by the change. The company is likely aware of that, so it’s essentially a risk assessment of potentially losing older subscribes in order to cultivate a broader market appeal, and one that they presumably feel will net more subscribers and revenue. Which makes sense in that niches can often be limiting and it seems like the market as a whole seems to be moving in the other direction, but I think it’s the clearly corporate motivation for that decision that grates on people, especially given why their philosophy often resonated with people in the first place.

I guess it’s a “I thought they were different” thing, but, y’know, they’re a business.

2 Likes

Tried it last night on an easy endurance ride and was mightily unimpressed, went through three boring videos before putting on some music to help me through the session. Apart from that it kept on dropping the target watts to zero. I shall be back on TR next week for my winter workouts. Maybe TR would be up for offering a 6 month deal as there must be a number of us who don’t use it during the Summer?

For me it was the only thing that made Sufferfest stand out. I don’t rate their plans, I don’t rate most of their workouts. The uniqueness of it definitely caught my attention / kept my mind off the training though.

I’m still hoping that new vids retain at least some sort of the original character, time will tell.

1 Like