New SIS Beta Fuel Products

So SIS just launched a new line of Beta Fuel products, which includes powder, gels and chews, all with a 1:0.8 maltodextrin to fructose ratio.

Not a great timing for me since I had just ordered 2 cases of the old Beta Fuel (was 50% off last week on their website, probably to clear out stock for the new stuff).

What do you think about these new products, will you try them?

I would not care at all. Beta fuel makes you go fast but 1:0.8 seems amazingly close to 1:1, and I certainly know a much cheaper option to get that! :wink:

@Dr_Alex_Harrison

2 Likes

Ā£2.50 per servingā€¦

2 Likes

I love the original Betafuel, so Iā€™m fine with this new mix. Like you I stocked up on 2 boxes so Iā€™m set for a while.

2 Likes

This. I have some Beta fuel packets collecting dust in my cabinet at the moment.

1 Like

Looks like they removed the sucralose. Cool!

(edit: I think this is cool not because non-nutritive sweeteners are bad, but because sweetening endurance beverages additionally is probably not a wise idea)

3 Likes

can you expand on this?

Iā€™m always baffled when I find this on the ingredients listā€¦ really no shortage on sweet taste of such drinks and they all are striving (or should at least) to make them less sweet if anything.

2 Likes

Heads up: I just broke or sprained my right (dominant wrist). In a splint. Like a temporary / short-term cast. Limited computer use ability. If it impedes work too much Iā€™ll be removing it pronto. For nowā€¦shorthand! This paragraph is saved as a canned responseā€¦ hence ability to type more above but shorthand belowā€¦ just so you donā€™t think Iā€™m being lazy!!

Sweetness aversion is common, especially in long endurance racers. Minimizing sweetness and flavor intensity is generally preferred by most folks, beyond the first couple hrs of events.

Fructose provides more than enough sweetness.

8 Likes

Iā€™m always perplexed at how SiS gets away with this. Just some fancy packaging, a nice little science story (I like the wording ā€œnew scienceā€ ā€¦ they reference a study from 2013), and some marketing lingo. And what do they do: just mix some cheap malto and fructose and add a pinch of salt. And sell it to the masses. Once again, this is like selling tap water in fancy glas bottles.

Apart from this, just did a 12h race yesterday. Mixed 1:0.8 malto and fructose myself. Aimed at 100g/h. Zero problems for the stomach, I probably could have gone higher. And since it was raining thoughout I actually did not ingest that much water with that.

6 Likes

That sucks, hope itā€™s better soon! Appreciate your contributions here plus all the RP stuff.

Sorry for reviving an old thread.
Where I live (Denmark) I canā€™t seem to find readily available fructose powder - at one point I was sure that dextrose was the same/could be substituted in. Is this as wrong as I suspect?

I have been using Sucrose (table sugar) + sodium citrate + citric acid (for taste). My understanding is sucrose is 1:1 glucose:fructose so ā€˜good enoughā€™ ratio wise, is there a benefit of using monosaccharides in a 1:1 over sucrose?

Dextrose is a synonym for glucose, so you are correct, itā€™s not the same as fructose.

2 Likes

Malto+table sugar would allow you to adjust and get to 1-0.8
Like 80gr sugar and 10gr malto giving you 50gr glucose and 40gr fructose

1 Like

They ship to Denmark :blush:

1 Like

In Germany you can buy ā€œFruchtzuckerā€ in most larger supermarkets. In the baking aisle.

I prefer malotdextrin + fructose over maltodexting + sucrose. I find the sweetness of the latter somehow bad. But I guess this is highly subjective.

5 Likes

I do the same. Table sugar is the last resort. Too damn sweet, kills my mouth in 30 mins. A bit more work and money but malto is a lifesaver for non-sweet tooth people.

I had the same problem. Couldnā€™t find fructose anywhere (Iā€™m in Sweden). Was able to bulk order one large bag from bulk.se but when I ran out I tried to order a new bag and it seems they donā€™t carry it anymore. I started searching online for the brands that Iā€™ve seen in our local baking aisle. Found that Dansukker had fructose in their catalogue. Then through a google search I found one store locally that carried it. Now when I go there I empty the shelf. I have like 4kgs at home right now. It doesnā€™t look like Dansukker has fructose in their Danish assortment but you might be able to find a different brand. I also found a specialty cooking site that sold it in bulk (a big plastic bucket) but it was expensive.

1 Like

not so easy here in AT - depends on the shop. Guess I need to hop over to Freilassing then or be lazy and use the interwebz.