New Dock Pro bed cooling from Chilipad / Ooler creators

7 nights down on the Eight Sleep and I’m an absolute convert. The ‘mesh’ network of channels disappears when you lay down on it. You can feel it with your fingers but not really when laying down. The unit itself is surprisingly quiet.

Its pretty great having a single unit being able to manage both sides of the bed. for a test I did a late evening 3 hour ride in relatively high heat…and since I haven’t been training until recently 3 hours at high end of z2 in heat was a great test. My legs were on fire like I had just done a crit or something. Typically this is a recipe for sleep disaster. Not anymore. Got in bed to a cool mattress, fell asleep immediately and stayed asleep almost all night (not normal for me). 8 hours later (also not normal for me) I woke up and my HRV was bounced back up into the fully recovered zone.

The additive affect of having great sleep night after night is going to be fantastic. I really can’t believe I didn’t consider this type of sleep system before. Thanks to @Nate_Pearson for initially planting this seed and the threads here for keeping it top of mind.

Now if I could only figure out how to make a travel version of this!

5 Likes

I’ve not had a good experience with Dock Pro unfortunately. I ordered the “We” which includes two units, both of which had faulty display screens on arrival. Now one unit will not connect to our Wi-Fi network and is virtually useless. To Chilisleep’s credit they are sending us replacements and their customer service was top notch, but I expected more for the price. I’ll also say that when they’re working the cooling is great, but I’ll probably return the units at the end of our trial and give 8sleep a try.

Did you ever get your replacement? I also got a “we” that had 2 units DOA (no display screen. could hear units turn on and circulate. was able to connect to one but temperature reading wasn’t right. it thought the water was at 43 degrees so any temp setting caused it to heat up. kind of the opposite of what i wanted it for). Was told I would be receiving replacements but we’re at nearly 2 weeks now with no word of shipping. But having said that - my original order never was noted as shipped either. Not impressed with their organization so far.

1 Like

So, I actually just called them up and told them to cancel the order for the replacements and send me a refund. I bought the 8sleep a few weeks ago and have been very impressed. Admittedly, the cooling is not quite as powerful or quick as the Dock Pro (that thing will freeze you out of bed when it’s working), but everything else is so much better. The comfort of the actual mattress topper, the build quality of the unit, the app and metrics - all much better than the Dock Pro. I’d give the 8sleep a go and cut your losses with ChiliSleep.

edit: Just wanted to add that the 8sleep’s cooling ability is more than adequate and will freeze you out of bed like the DockPro, it’s just not quite as cold or quick to respond to temperature adjustments. Also, there’s a $250 off coupon floating around on the internet, use code TIM.

2 Likes

I continue to be impressed with the 8sleep. Over a month now and I’m clocking the best sleep /sleep scores I have in years. Game changer.

1 Like

I had a leaking unit and took about 6 weeks to get a replacement. i think they were revising the wifi.

They still haven’t released their sleep tracking functionality yet and as that will depend on WiFi to be working well for it to work it makes sense they would delay for that and not want to admit the problem publicly

i got an invite to early VIP access to some AI sleep tracking stuff yesterday.

My unit’s Wifi has been fine. :man_shrugging:

This? https://sleep.me/product/sleepme-plus

That seems to be it. Says it adjusts temp in real time as you sleep. Interesting.

with the wifi problems in mind:
did anyone try schedules with the airplane mode on?
if that doesen work, wifi-problems might ruin them as well

i´m considerung the “me” version but my mattress is a bit shorter than the 80 inches (200 cm instead of 203) and less thick than the minimum 8 inches (maybe a bit more than 7,5)
would u think, that this is problematic comfortwise?

and since i´m from the EU i wondered if anyone knows wether the dock can handle 230v or if you would need a Voltage Converter (the chilli website only answers it for the cube, where it´s ok)

i now got the response from the support, that it should be able to handle 230v, the little size difference shouldnt be a problem and that schedules ought to work in airplane mode

I use it in Denmark without a converter. Everything seems to work well and as advertised.

1 Like

I’ve had the dock pro pad leak in the first week. The wifi is surprisingly weak and will cause issues for some people. For two people I would suggest eight sleep. But single users don’t really have an eight sleep option.

I had a Ooler before Dock Pro. Sleep.me service sucks in the summer. A month turnaround for a repair is apparently not unusual. The fastest email response I have had from them is 3 business days.

I wonder if the water evaporation isn’t some how tied to the increased cooling (evaporative cooling). I currently have an Ooler, but before I purchased it I had purchased a really cheap, like $175.00 sleep cooler from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KPMPVLM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This thing got so cold that I thought I would freeze to death the first couple of nights before I got the settings figured out. The catch with this thing was that I would have to fill it up with water about 2 times per week, but it was worth it for me. Unfortunately as I kind of expected, after only a couple of months it started leaking so I went ahead and purchased the Ooler. I was immediately very disappointed in the lack of cooling with it compared to the cheap Amazon cooler.
I am really excited to hear about the Dock Pro.

I think most of the water loss is coming from the fact the feed tank/reservoir doesn’t have a seal on the lid and it gets a lot of evaporation loss. That water reservoir seems to feed the internal circulation system to keep it full. If the lid to the reservoir were sealed, it probably wouldn’t allow water to feed the system properly.

Ron

Any of these options for the UK? For some reason I often sleep stupid hot (sweating into a puddle, which then ironically makes me cold)… so something like this could be a real game changer for me.

1 Like

Haven’t seen mention of it here—has anyone tried the moona? Chiller that just covers your pillow.

MOONA | The World's First Active Cooling Pillow Pad!

I find I wake up frequently wanting to flip my pillow over to find a cool spot so this seems like it might be what I’m looking for

I love my Ooler so decided to get a Dock Pro. I decided to return it and wait until they fix the issues with it:

1. Mine cooling unit makes a high pitch whining/whistle sound. If it wasn’t for this I would say it is not as loud as the Ooler.
  2. The wifi chipset is crap. My router is in the next room and this thing can’t stay connected.
  3. Programs just stop/start randomly. I think this is due to the network issues.
  4. Not sold on the non-sealed water reservoir, seems to go through water fast (like ever few days). This isn’t a deal breaker though.
  5. i am not convinced the temperature readings reflect the actual water temperature. This could be due to the flaky wifi though.

It’s a shame because the Dock Pro cooling is really great and the pad is good too. Much superior to the Ooler. However, I can’t sleep with the noise (might just be my unit) and the crappy wifi (all units).

I am going to go back to using my Ooler and wait for version 2 of the Dock Pro

1 Like

The ooler is adequate. I find that it can actually be too cold for me at times if I set it below 60. Dock Pro sounded like a good upgrade, but seems like it needs to be hardened a bit more. The lack of wifi isn’t really a problem for me, no real need to turn it on from away from my house and I sleep every night about the same time, so the scheduling is adequate. The monthly cleaning is a bit of a chore and I’m certain it’s necessary because I go the extra mile with the maintenance and the water still comes out a little green each time. Would definitely consider other options if this thing bites the bullet, but I wouldn’t give it up.