Nates crash on this weeks podcast

I couldn’t see very well, was dizzy, nauseous, and forgot people’s names. Pretty easy diagnosis.

We had an ER doc in our group who was ahead of us too who looked me over.

5 Likes

My big crash in 2016, I remember seeing the ground coming toward my face then the next memory is laying down in the medical tent. The medic told me they “helped me to the med tent” which was about 200 yards from the crash…then a picture surfaced of him helping my bike and I was walking on my own…4 years later I still dont remember that…concussions are the real deal, dont mess with it and do what the docs say.

2 Likes

Get well soon! Remember to quarantine yourself from serious TR decisions for longer than you think. Decision making and risk taking can be impacted in ways you can’t feel yourself.

5 Likes

That makes total sense. I’d be pretty concerned if I was unable to focus properly.
I asked because I’ve got a crushed helmet floating around from a couple of years back. I’m pretty certain a knock of that magnitude should’ve caused some form of concussion, but I never lost focus or felt ill. Looking back, I probably should’ve called it a day instead of getting back on the bike.
I’d be really interested to know more about less obvious signs of a concussion.

Agreed. :+1: It’s been mentioned a few times in the podcast but more detail would be great.

3 Likes

I can’t wait for Thursday and a quick recovery of @Nate_Pearson !

On November 28th I am invited to a MTB clinic, my first! I assume I shall keep on riding road!

1 Like

I don’t think I’m scheduled for a while.

Sorry to hear that. Stitches build character and make for good stories. Concussions on the other hand are tough. Nothing more exciting/frustrating than sitting/laying in a dark room and not doing anything that causes one to think too hard, eye strain, or anything else pretty well. Essentially being a human vegetable for a week or more, depending.

1 Like

I crashed in 2011 and don’t remember the crash itself. I remember riding, thinking about which road to take to get back home, and then laying on the street with medical personnel around me. I don’t know who called 911 and I don’t know why I crashed either. You would think that one would remember the “oh shit” moment - but no. I tried - but it never came back. It really freaked me out. And, yes, I was definitely concussed.

1 Like

Not riding, but my big one was in 2004 snowboarding. Remember riding up the ski lift with my sister, then came to strapped to a backboard. I was a little ahead of my sister but when she came up on me she said my arms were twitching. I was 13 at the time and concussion protocol wasn’t what it is now, although I’m really glad my parents took it very seriously, probably a good few months before I was free of symptoms. I think it did affect my short term memory/ focus slightly, but honestly just glad I was wearing a helmet. Best wishes to Nate for a proper speedy recovery, patience is going to be your friend here!

1 Like

I crashed back in 2013 out on local mtb trails all on my own. No idea or recollection of how I got back to my vehicle or putting my bike in the back. I drove 20kms back to town (still no recollection) and the only thing I remember is walking into the shop where my mother-in-law worked and people asking if I was ok. Concussions are scary.
Worst thing was I tried to work the next day, I was extremely irritable and just couldn’t quite focus on anything. Had to really take it easy getting back into anything for a couple of weeks.
Rest up and get well soon!

1 Like

Nate:

March 2020 - Age 70. I hit a car or the car hit me, not sure. Do not remember the impact. I was unconscious for 20 - 30 minutes. I only remember being put in the ambulance. It is 9 months later and I still have headaches. Emotions also affect my headaches. My knee, rib, face, back injuries, vertigo, tinnitus noise are mostly behind me. It has taken a long time. Everyone’s TBI is different. For me, my concussion recovery did not follow a timetable. My cracked and buckled helmet was new. It saved my life. I started riding again in July. Recently, I do not have a lot of symptoms after a ride until I go hard. Then I really pay for it the next day with pressure headaches and upset stomach. Physical therapy for my neck made a huge difference in limiting my headaches. Before the accident, I had planned to race this year. There is a Master series in New England. I would have been the youngest in my category [70 - 74 years]. I had already completed TR base 1 &2. Was starting build phase. Then March came along. March 2019 - March 2020, I had ridden 4500 miles, run 110 miles as a soccer ref, and alpine skied 65 days. I was in excellent physical condition and still had to extremely patient with my recovery.

Everyone’s TBI is different.

What helped me a lot was reaching out to friends who have had similar experiences.

My closest riding friends have been so kind to me on rides this season. In the past, I would be one of the first at the top of a big climb waiting for the other riders. This season, they were waiting sometimes, 2-5 minutes for me. Very small groups this season. After 4 months, I am still last to summit a climb, but able to hang on to the last wheel. I think that is progress. Most important, I have realized I have a few really close friends who like to suffering together. My friends wait for me, put me in between them when there was traffic to keep me safe, and check in with me during the ride.

“Remember Your Why!” Because you can.

Bob

9 Likes

Bob, that sounds so horrific! I’m glad you’re alive and it sounds like your TBI is much worse than mine.

Man, I want to give you a hug! :hugs:

I hope you get to 100% soon.