Music During Training, Eating in a Fast Race, Carb Loading and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 244

Here’s a list of popular sports drink mixes and their carb source and also how much carbs they have, beware of some listing their carb source from 2 scoops/servings like tailwind listing 50g when it’s really 25g for one scoop/serving/16oz bottle.

“You can put glycogen in fat?!”

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

2 Likes

Headphones while on the trainer - I use BOSE SoundSport Free Wireless headphones. When I have them on I don’t hear my bike or my Wahoo Kickr at all. They’re not Noise Cancelling but they still do an amazing job at keeping outside noise, well, out.

They’re on sale right now, too…

I have done multiple 8-12 hour mountain bike races where 95% of my calories and all of my fluids came from 200-300 calorie bottles of Tailwind. No stomach issues, cramping, or bonking. Of course, no product will work for everyone.

3 Likes

While I’m a huge fan of big Belgian beers and consider them to be among the upper echelon of all beers, I’ve never used ABV as metric for a beer’s caliber. Sometimes it’s the opposite. I’ve had plenty of big beers that aren’t good at all and plenty of lower ABV beers that blew my mind. There are TONS of amazing (world class) beers in the 5-6% ABV.

@chad I was the guy on Strava who recommended Athletic Brewing!

4 Likes

The Jaybird Vista’s are the way to go!

2 Likes

@chad had to find myself a real beer after listening to this :joy:

1 Like

@Scollett84 :+1:

@chad watched YouTube version of podcast last night during 60-min aerobic ride and was so inspired I bought some “light” beer to celebrate a “dry” January. Sadly my local grocery store didn’t have Lagunitas refresher :frowning: so that forced my hand:

Prost!
:beers:

2 Likes

Great question. We did a 2hr ride last night in -1 and were all cold :cold_face: even with full Assos winter gear on. I’m certain that the training load is higher because the body has to keep warm and work hard on the climbs.

I give Erdinger my vote

What is the colour coding? I’m UK based so a lot of those won’t apply

I’ve been on non-alcoholic beers for about 4 years and the Bavaria Wit 0% is my favourite, though it may be Europe only. gReat with a slice on lime in it too :yum:

Funny 2 people have said they’ve never heard a single bad thing about maltodextrin but even on this very podcast Nate mentions taking in a buttload of maltodextrin then says “not great for long term health” and with that being said I think like anything else, it’s probably okay in moderation, I just wouldn’t be taking it In every single ride.

1 Like

Hey @anthonylane, thanks for that recommendation. If I were to go NA, that’s now my brewery of choice–nice one. And in no way did I mean to convey that beers with low ABV can’t be good. Some of my favorite beers barely crack 6% if they make that cut at all, and I’ve drank my fair share of Mexican lagers (and other sub-5%'ers) and will continue to do so. I just meant that I too easily fall prey to letting the booze content sway my decisions. Nasty, but typically rewarding, habit. :wink:

2 Likes

I actually went home and had one of these bad boys (9% and a full pint too–nap time soon followed). Easily one of my top-5 breweries of all time!

5 Likes

Indeed, @redlude97. It’s from that same book I mentioned, written by Alex Harrison, et al: “The RP Diet for Endurance”.

2 Likes

I avoid beer for dry January by sticking to gin and red wine.

2 Likes

Gotcha! I’m aging a Duvel and a La Fin Du Monde (Belgian tripel) and I cannot wait to crack those after a hot summer race this season. Can you get Minnesota beers out that way?

Tailwind’s instructions are for 2-3 servings (25 g carb per serving) for a 24 oz bottle, which is about 1.5-2 servings per 16 oz. Seems very reasonable to use 2 servings in a bottle for comparisons.

2 Likes

That was soooo disappointing. When I saw @chad tasting all those beers, I thought for sure he was going to introduce his own TrainerRoad branded IPA :laughing:

2 Likes