Maurten vs SIS Gels

Good idea. Do you end up just putting the contents of four gel packs into one 8 ounce bottle?

Exactly. Fill the bottle up…

Found these on Amazon. Looks like some 4 ounce and 8 ounce options.

https://www.amazon.com/8-Ounce-Plastic-Squeeze-Bottles-Purpose/dp/B01AILW562?th=1

Where do you order them from?

Hi tober1

The gels I get usually from Chain Reaction Cycles. I order a large amount with some mates and split the cost. Or I pick up a suitcase of it when I visit my parents (live near them). :slight_smile:

Or sometimes from Amazon.ca. The gel soft flask is from MEC.ca but REI probably has similar in the US. Gu also does a soft flask.

2 Likes

If anyone is looking for SIS gels, they are 30% off right now on their website. I stocked up today.

2 Likes

I use these, the best in my opinion, don’t think you can find them in the US though

http://www.trisportpharma.be/en-Energy_Gel_‘Ratio_2-1’.html

Dang these gels get expensive! I hate to train with them but practice like you race.

I wish the sample boxes did not have lemon-lime or chocolate. Former I still want to vomit just thinking about – too many gallons of original Gatorade years ago. Later – not something I want while riding.

1 Like

Upon discussion of SIS gels, I picked some up and used the recent USAC discount promotion. As a “treat” to myself to break up training, I rode Alp du Zwift yesterday, remaining at about sweet spot. It sucked hard.

In any case, I decided to try out the SIS gels, as I’ve been an avid GU user for a while (but have serious issues takin GU in because of the residue and thick texture.) I started with Lemon-Lime GO Isotonic Gel. Man, this was a mistake! It was perhaps the worst thing I’ve ever tasted, and I had serious trouble forcing myself to take the gel without vomiting. The effects of the SIS were quick and apparent during my workout, but wow… the taste!

I’ve got the multipack of Isotonic gels and some boxes of GO Energy Berry flavor. REALLY hoping they are more palatable!

Taste advantage - GU.
Texture/energy advantage - SIS

Going to order some Maurten next :crossed_fingers:

Try the SIS Vanilla. It’s literally the single best tasting on bike nutrition I’ve ever had. I would totally sit around and eat them on the couch.

3 Likes

Just because the TR guys are talking about just these products, doesn’t mean you can’t try other brands. What may work for them may not necessarily work for you.
I’ve bounced around with Nuun, hammer, skratch, and Carborocket. The CarboRocket 333 lemonade is my go to for long road races and mtb marathon. Nuun Energy i love for crits.
But, what I really love is a Red Bull 45 mins before.

2 Likes

You mean there are OTHER products out there??!?

Joking aside, I value the TR crew opinions. It’s a great primer for new products.

1 Like

It is good to hear first account trial and error on this stuff. But, what I use isn’t going to change because Jonathon or Nate won a crit or mtb race.
Though, I have used the SIS stuff and it is nice. But, I really love the honey stinger gels.

I do this as well however I do half gel and then I cut it with water. Much easier to drink and take in while riding.

For people in the UK, SportPursuit currently have SIS gels available - 30 gels for £12.49 instead of £42

They do ship to other countries also, but the cost of delivery might be prohibitive.

1 Like

I was looking at these yesterday- What would you recommend?

GO + Isotonic Gels
GO Energy + Electrolyte Gels

They both have Carbs - So why would you choose the isotonic over the electrolight?
Box of each?

Thanks

FYI - SIS gels are 2 for 1 until tomorrow. In the UK at least.

I’ve only had the ones without additional electrolytes so can’t really comment, sorry.

1 Like

As stated above - I don’t recommend the Lemon Lime isotonic! :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

I like SIS too as it doesn’t upset my stomach… But their Lemon Lime is pure vile. I’d rather drink a bottle of Buckleys (Canadians know what I mean).

I’m also experimenting with Maple syrup recipe I found on a runner’s site.

3 Likes