Maintenance Phase of Strength Training

Hi guys

I’ve been doing strength training workouts in the gym twice a week for the past 3 months. Mostly doing compound moves, with 3 sets of 4-6 reps.

I’m now moving into my build phase on the bike, and so want to reduce my strength work to once a week for maintenance.

So what movements would you keep and what would you ditch, to fit it into 1 session per week? Would you continue to try to gradually build strength (at a lower rate than the first phase)?

Currently been doing:

• Squats
  • Dead Lifts
  • Bench press
  • Pull Ups
  • Step back lunges
  • incline dumbell press
  • upright rows
  • dips
  • skull crushers
  • core routine

I can probably fit in the core routine at home one evening per week.

First post, so thanks for any advice.

Regards

Adam

For maintenance I would do just do 1 set 4-6 reps of anything lower body without increasing weight over time. So that’s deads, lunges and squats. You want to make sure it’s not negatively affecting your rides. Ideally you’d do that after your bike workout and leading into a rest day. If you notice your legs are too sore from the weights, I’d back off further.

Regarding the rest of your upper body and core workouts you can continue as you see fit as it shouldn’t affect your riding. You’ll have to determine if you keep increasing the weight you may be adding additional muscle mass which would affect your watt/kg, if that’s important to you. If so, I’d just back that off to 1 set of maintenance as well.