How to include strength & core workouts without adding total volume?

Road season is closing in and plans for next year get under way. Stength training and core work makes a stronger body as we know and the perennial question creeps into mind: how to incorporate strength and core work into my training calendar?

As the available time for training is limited (10-12h/week), my plan for this winter is to reduce 15min on bike and add 15min to each of my workout to do total of 3 hours of additional work per week. Would this be enough stimulus to strengthen my supporting joints, muscles and tendons and add core stability?

How are you going about it?

Some related posts with lots of discussion:

2 Likes

I’ve already read and forgotten everything what Chad has posted above. However I do strength train so can put forward my experience. If you have around 10-12 hours available I would keep the strength training to two hours and rest on the bike. Also, I think it would be better to do 2 proper one hour sessions with a coach. That way you can learn the movements, correct form is essential. I would structure the training to improve the overall health and fix the posture. Main focus should be glutes, core, back and shoulders. I believe that the deadlift is very important however lately I’m skipping the squats because my quads are already tired from the bike. Instead you can incorporate one-legged exercises (step-ups, one-legged deadlifts, bulgarian split squats) which also work your core and stabilising muscles. Than work your latts, lower traps, rear and upper delts. Do some hanging leg raises, dead bugs and bird dogs.

The core work you could do at home after bike for those 15 min as you planned. For bigger lifts gym is a better place.

2 Likes

Thanks for the resources! I really need to dig into those.

1 Like

Hitting the gym for two days a week wouldn’t be too bad of a plan, especially at this time of the year. I normally do 2 heavier sessions tuesday and thursday and wednesday friday are endurance and a recovery ride. Weekend is for longer rides. Also those own body weight exercises would be a good idea, especially when starting again after a year without any strength work:sweat_smile:

1 Like