Kona Learnings, L-Carnitine's effect on Performance, Tapers and much more – Ask a Cycling Coach 230

Is the Pivot Mach 4 that much different than other XC bikes? Bike brands are all gravitating towards a similar geometry, so seems a little surprising that the front-wheel-lift would be much different vs other similar bikes.

Maybe the pivot frame is optimized for the 100mm fork, and putting the 120mm on it is enough to compromise the performance riding uphill?

Separately, a technique I’ve found helpful on steep switchbacks is to enter in an upright position, and lower my upper body to the bars as I ride through the apex/steepest part. I find this helps prevent the front wheel from lifting.

You are absolutely right. I struggle on all bikes with a longish head tube. But I got short legs and a long torso.

IM Santa Rosa is your ticket primarily because of the weather; more predictable. The last thing you want (well actually maybe you do!) is a swim cancel or something.

They are looking for a copywriter…this is probably why.

WHO DO YOU THINK IS THE ODD MAN OUT? :smiley:

Jon has to be one of them (if he can learn how to swim).

5 Likes

I’d like to go outside the US since we haven’t done that much.

4 Likes

A canceled swim would be a dream :smiley:. None of us will be in the lead pack out of the water.

2 Likes

I would hate to race Chad. :wink:

Ironman Australia is a course that favours strong bikers.

2 Likes

Some of the rabbit holes they do down, such as the L Carnitine discussion, just seem to be too much information. At the same time Jonathan drops how he plans to raise his FTP from 310 to 340, has it all planned out, and we instantly move on from that to spend the next 15-20 minutes discussing amino acids.

How much more interesting would it be to hear how someone of J’s calibre plans to achieve that level of gain? Knowing he’s coming into the season at an already high level, I think it could be a great podcast by itself.

4 Likes

He’s just doing the TR plans mid volume and adding some weekend MTB rides.

2 Likes

I would second the already mentioned IM in Busselton and Cairns, Australia. Both would meet the requirement that @Nate_Pearson is looking for, while also being an ideal holiday location. Plenty of specialty craft beers for @chad to taste in Western Australia.

@Nate_Pearson and @Jonathan,
9point8 offers a post that allows 25mm forward offset (along with zero and 25mm rear offset).

2 Likes

Frankfurt could be a good option. Lake swim so less intimidating than an ocean swim for the more inexperienced swimmers. ~1500m of elevation on the bike course which is enough to favour the stronger biker without punishing the bigger guys. And a flat, fast run with 4 loops through a city with a great triathlon history and culture so plenty of supporters (and oompah bands!). Would have said Zurich would be perfect as well but they sadly discontinued that one.

2 Likes

Sweet spot base or traditional base, also what build plan
Edit: I would also love to hear the reasoning for choosing the different types of plans to get those gains.

Ironman Austria is the one that ticks all boxes

• Bike: Hilly with wide open descends to preserve average speed high. No big climbs but a lot of small and punchy ones. No need to mention - one of the most scenic courses on the ironman races. Bonus: One loop.
  • Swim is in alpine lake, great drinkable water, wetsuit in almost all cases
  • Run - two loop between two towns very very flat and very nice support all the way to the finish. Shady almost all the time. Never got too hot really.

Did it last year, would return every year if I can. Definitely one of the greatest courses and not surprisingly named the best course for first timers.

2 Likes

I think the glide path is less a plan to gain a specific amount of FTP, and more which plans, workouts and races will cultivate the correct type of fitness for your A race. Since there’s no way to guarantee a certain FTP gain from a plan that would be a pretty bad way to plan. But it’s more about developing the correct energy systems and the FTP gains should come with it.

You can browse his calendar to see the plans in place.

3 Likes

I’m still pulling for the IMWI race. As I live here, the area is super active, the food is a gourmet’s delight, and the course is one of the most “user friendly” you’ll find. The support is second to none, the bike course a tough one, and the run supported by tons of people. You get to run through the UW stadium around the football field twice, along the lakefront, through the campus and around the state capitol building. The bike course has Tour type crazies on the hills, many in costumes, and where else do you get to go up and down the infamous “Helix”, the winding entrance and exit to the parking ramp?

I have some photo galleries here to give you a taste: