Kolie Moore's FTP test protocol

You can find the workouts here:

1 Like

I’m doing this test again tomorrow. Feel that I should test higher now after some consistent training these past few weeks.

I tried searching through the post Regarding testing in TT position, but I couldnt find anything. Do you TT/Tri guys test down low? I broke one of my armpad mounts so I can’t test in TT until I get it fixed :confused:

If your goal event is a TT/Triathlon, to me it makes sense to test in that position, especially closer to the event - say starting a “Build” period in the traditional Friel macrocycles. For Base periods, I’d be interested in pushing as much power as possible as I built TTE/endurance, so I’d test as comfortably as possible.

In the past, I’ve ridden my road bike in the “offseason”, then swapped to my TT bike as spring breaks and tri season approaches. When I make that change in bikes, I’d test again.

That’s my $0.02 anyway.

5 Likes

Have a look on the 5th February, the 108th post. Kolie Moore gives a brief nugget on what he sees with his own athletes and road/TT bikes and why. TLDR is a 10-20W decrease in FTP and shorter TTE on the TT bike.

My guess (I don’t have TT bike btw but I like this thread) is to test on the TT bike if you intend to train on it for a significant amount of time, given his stated preference for tests to be within about 5W of what they are meant to measure and the benefit of training at the right power target.

1 Like

I’m not on TP, so I can’t use workout creator (unless there’s a TR update I don’t know about). Is there any way someone could share their Kolie Moore FTP protocol workouts with me? Or let me know where to go?

They’re in Team Gold, accessible here:

1 Like

Q: post-test, what to use when structuring ensuing workouts – WKO TTE or TTE test results?

Same FTP/mFTO but WKO runs shorter than actual conducted test TTE.

From the ‘what workout today’ thread I think you did 60 minutes at FTP? Is WKO within 5-10 minutes of that? I’d say its your choice, but I might go with the more conservative and then during an extensive phase extend duration during actual workouts when I’m feeling strong.

How much shorter? I’m no expert, but if you actually rode at about FTP for a certain length of time then I’m not sure why that would not be a valid measurement of TTE.

It’s doing a regression on the data. The math means that it fits under the curve instead of over. It’s generally just a minute or two under what you did.

1 Like

Ahh okay, I’ve never used WKO stuff but that makes sense. I guess they would prefer that the measurements be just a bit on the conservative side.

WKO is pretty close on my long rides at threshold, for example 51 minutes at FTP and post-ride WKO updates to 47:07 TTE. Or 65 minutes at FTP and post-ride WKO updates TTE to 56:42. Really depends on the shape of your curve, and interesting things happen if a really strong short effort falls out of the 90-day window.

1 Like

I didn’t think of WKO using data other than just FTP intervals to come up with that TTE number but that make sense.

It’s a difference of 20min(!).

My previous TTE test was 35min; WKO TTE ~30min; same FTP.

From TP: TTE can is visually represented by a vertical line just after the kink or decline in sustained power outputs.

Except there was no decline in power @ ~40min; there was an incline in power.

(do I have to “feed” the model more?)

Would have to look at your curve. But if you don’t have maximal efforts on the short duration it messes with the long duration stuff as well.

its using your power duration curve, so when the curve changes then interesting things happen Measuring/Estimating TTE (Time To Exhaustion) - #16 by bbarrera or https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/kolie-moore-podcast-wisdom/30520/473?u=bbarrera

welcome to the fun part of using WKO! FWIW I rarely look at TTE in WKO, it seems particularly sensitive to PDC and exactly what efforts are in the 90-day window.

^ this.

I did short/med/long tests this week, but it’s only the first “feeding”; last 30-90 days only lots of Z2/3 stuff.

I guess the real life ride should? supersede any algo test (TR ramp, WKO TTE, etc) result. :man_shrugging:t2:

There’s a ‘residuals’ chart that will show you where the model is confused. Test around those durations and it should tighten up. If you aren’t doing threshold work it doesn’t really matter what the model thinks though. So always ask yourself ‘why do I care and how is it going to change my behavior’ before you chase details.

Even then the residuals chart might not help much. That is similar to my training and on 5 December my coach prescribed an athlete’s choice “American Express” ride where my job was to go hit all the zones. I uncorked a 2-min effort that was within a few percent of all-time best from 4 years ago. So now my PDC is really confused LOL.

and ‘does the PDC actually reflect fitness with plenty of short/medium/long max efforts, or simply the training I’ve been doing?’

This, and something I just realised I was doing — valuing tech above my own observed performance. Tools for tools sake. :roll_eyes:

Will amend workouts accordingly.

1 Like