KickrV5 - drift in ERG-mode?

It’s heated (no A/C) but there’s no dial control. Just a few radiators throughout the warehouse/industrial space, so while it’s stable within a day (due to the size), it fluctuates from day to day because there’s no thermostat to control it.

1 Like

Ok not sure if this is a piece of the puzzle but here’s some observations I made tonight during my workout.

Setup:
PM : Favero Assioma DUO
Trainer : KICKRV5
Other : PowerMatch NEW

I started the workout by zero offsetting the Assioma and made a Spindown with the Kickr.

At some point during the rest intervals of workout I stopped pushing on the pedals and coasted 3-5seconds. From there the the power between the Assioma and the Kickr started to create a gap. The readings from the kickr started to decrease VS the Assioma.

Midway through I did another spindown of the kickr (did not recalibrate pedals). Then the Kickr and the Assioma started to report almost 1:1 until the end of the workout. (I did not coasted or stopped pushing on the pedals after the 2ns spindown)

It’s like if the Kickr tried to recalibrate itself if you “coast” even just a small bit even if the ERG was trying to control the resistance from the Powermatch reading.

Again, not sure this is the issue but could be a piece of the puzzle.

I forgot to record both files but I will try to recreate this during my next workout and save both files for comparaison.

Wahoo just pushed Firmware 4.1.2 and it looks manual spindown is back! Perhaps this will solve our issues! Im hopeful

Is there anything in the changelog whether it will still “auto” calibrate as well, or do we need to go back to manual calibration all the time now?

The main site is not updated with the info yet, but maybe soon.

Jan 13: DC Rainmaker Analyzer

Not sure if I want any firmware updates now :slight_smile:

Is that the new firmware?

No, this is firmware 4.1.1 from december 21th.

So what’s your secret then :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

A bunch load of factory spindowns maybe :joy:

I made some more test this morning and it really seems like this is the issue.

Basically if you spindown your Kickr at the beginning of the workout (after warm let’s say). It will hold its calibration until you coast or backpedal (usually 2-4 sec is enough). Then it will throw off the calibration is seems and you basically have to re-do a spindown.

Perhaps someone else in this thread can see to see if you get to the same observation.

If that’s really what it is, it’s a MAJOR flaw and we should have the option to turn off the auto-calibration.

I tested this a while ago and I got the same drift regardless of whether or not I did any spindowns or coasts during the workout.

I get the same gradual drift even if I keep pedaling throughout.

1 Like

I think Im gonna use Powermatch with my Favero and not worry about what the heck my Kickr is doing anymore lol. It is too unreliable.

Im struggling a bit to understand you. By spindown, do you mean factory spindown or just auto calibration when coasting?

By spindown I mean a “true” spindown within TR DEVICES section (or wahoo app).

Ok.

There isnt a “spindown” button in Wahoo app is it? (Before now of course with the new 4.1.2 firmware)

I did some testing with spindown using TR-devices earlier, couldnt seem to get any consistent results:

No exactly the button wasn’t there before 4.1.2

All of these is very strange…

The new fw hasn’t made any difference to my drift.

I did the donner TR workout that has 3x 12min threshold efforts and on the first interval my kickr was -0.5% the second -1.5% and the third -2.5%.

I then switched and did a zwift ride (the kickr will have had a chance to auto calibrate) and the difference was -3% over 15 mins.

I cant 100% guarantee that it isn’t my pedals drifting but I will say that my L/R balance was constant throughout so if my pedals are off then it is both of them by the same amount.

1 Like

Similiar experience. has also not addressed the resistance mode ERG issue some of us have been experiencing in ANT connection

Judging by how quickly this firmware got released after the previous one I’d guess it’s a either a really simple mod - like adding the ability to do a manual spindown - or fixing a bug they noticed was introduced in the December update.