Is workout TSS independent of cumulative stress?

I am training for a triathlon and frequently estimate TSS for my runs, swims, and other non-bike workouts. For a given intensity, should I adjust my TSS based on my current fatigue level? Or should a workout’s TSS be independent of cumulative stress?

Scenario 1: Run workout at the start of a training plan
Scenario 2: Run workout at the end of a hard training week

Assuming this run is estimated to have a TSS of 30, and assuming I perform the run at the exact same intensity, should I adjust the estimated TSS under scenario 1 vs. scenario 2?

Hope my question makes sense. I ask this because the easy run I just did wasn’t as easy as I remembered it to be (felt like moderate intensity rather than recovery).

Appreciate everyone’s feedback on this. Thanks!

Independently. TSS is IF and duration. An estimate of glycogen used during the workout. This is why training with power for cycling is so eye opening to new users. A recovery ride after a hard week feels like a high RPE while the same ride fresh feels like a very low RPE. Same TSS.

Thanks @KorbenDallas! Truly is eye opening. Learning more each day.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of the glycogen link to TSS. Learn something every day here!

I forget where I read that but, I believe it was Joe Friel who wrote it either in one of his books or a Training Peaks article.