Is it OK to just do Sweet Spot Base over and over?

I don’t race, just looking to get stonger/faster and continue getting stronger/faster. Is it ok to just keep redoing sweetspot base?

1 Like

up to you, but you could ride it for a good while before needing some sort of different training or mental stimulus. Throwing a build in there will keep things interesting and will also give a nice fitness boost.

5 Likes

Sweetspot base II is pretty similar to general build, so I’d guess you could still improve with this approach, at least to a point. Eventually you have to push the ceiling up (so to speak) further and that’s what the build phases are for. The specialty phase is for sharpening the edge with more race specific efforts, so I don’t think you necessarily have to do specialty other than to make things more interesting.

Not to highjack but hopefully this can add to the OPs question for the long run.

I’ve been wondering the same thing recently as I am in the same boat. I love training and the process but have no real specific goals. Would it be wise to go SSB1/2 > Gen Build > Repeat at a highter volume then the next go around either keep the volume the same or drop down to a LV plan+Add outdoor rides or stay with mid? I know this was mentioned in the podcast a few times but I forget which episode.

3 Likes

They covered potential options for non-racers in a recent podcast: Attacking vs. Tailgunning, Pre-Workout Supplements and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 198 - YouTube

2 Likes

I’ve found success going from GBMV then to SSB1 (last 4 weeks) and SSB2. I plan to then go back to GBMV with a Specialty into my “A” race. My body at age 42 really welcomed the lower intensity in SSB1 after GBMV. Now SSB2 is feeling quite manageable (already increasing intensity) at a higher FTP. I think it took me 4 weeks of SSB1 to recover from GB.

I think you’d plateau staying in SS and I’d recommend doing instead Base and Build over and over instead.

1 Like

Its all good man, the more info we all have the better.

1 Like