🎉🎉🎉 Introducing Workout Alternates!🎉🎉🎉

Yes on my sprint Tri plan Baird -1 is showing no alternatives which seems a bug for a very standard v02 workout. Have notified support.

1 Like

The problem seems to be with all of the Tri plans across base, build and specialty.

@IvyAudrain

Actually, I like the way it works currently, and I believe it’s been designed to operate in that manner… (ie. not a bug!).

Why? I believe the ordering is intending to present the workouts to you based on their “proximity” to your current ability (your PL).

So: workouts with Levels >= to your PL (ie. those with Difficulties: Productive, Stretch, Breakthrough) are presented in ascending order of PL, while those with Levels below your PL (Difficulty: Achievable) are presented in descending order of PL.

Functionally, this makes sense, as the workouts that are most suitable for you (ie. having Levels nearer to your PL) display first and require the least (or no) amount of scrolling to discover.

1 Like

Is this a known issue @IvyAudrain

1 Like

That is because Ohio sucks and the only alternative is to move out of the state.

2 Likes

Hahahaha. Being in the uk I wouldn’t know.

1 Like

Datde +2 doesn’t even have the Alternative tab available.

I’ve gone through the full distance triathlon LV plan and all three (base, build, specialty) has many workouts either missing alternatives altogether or doesn’t have any Achievable or Productive alternatives.

I’m just about to start this plan using the plan builder and as a 56 year old i would be grateful if the workouts could be fixed as I’ll definitely be looking for easier alternative versions of the workouts.

@IvyAudrain
@Nate_Pearson

Hi, George. Happy to help clarify, those workouts and Workout Alternates aren’t necessarily ‘broken’, its just that not every workout has an Alternate always available!
There are two reasons this can happen. Workout Alternates always have the same workout profile and difficulty as your original workout. Some workout profiles include many workouts, while other profiles don’t have as many. If there are no other workouts of the appropriate difficulty level and duration available for Workout Alternates to choose from within a workout profile, no results will be shown.

The second reason: Workout Alternates reference an athlete’s progression levels when determining which workouts to suggest. Suggested workouts are within the same Difficulty level as the original workout, but suggestions are never shown in the “Not Recommended” range. If the original workout is “Not Recommended” it will thus have no alternates available.

Let us know if you have any questions about that, but hopefully that provides some context and clarification. More info here under ‘FAQ’: https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402284012571-How-to-use-Workout-Alternates

1 Like

Oh well, looks like the new AT isn’t suitable as a Masters (over 50’s) training plan after all (I’m56). I know all us oldies were hoping it would be.

As I’ve only recently resubscribed for the year that’s a real disappointment. If I’d only known this sooner I wouldn’t have joined for another year.

@IvyAudrain
@Nate_Pearson

If you re-subbed very recently and really want to leave TR, I think it’s worth an email to support to ask for cancellation and a refund. They seem pretty open to things like that from what I have seen in the past.

3 Likes

I’ll do that thanks Chad.

Update…

Refund request sent

Just curious, have you even tried the workouts to see how you get along with them?

Dade+2 has heaps of alternate workouts.

It’s possibly a bug of the display rather than not having alternates anywhere?

Also, as Hub said, have you started the plan? I’d suspect those workouts will adapt down. Dade+2 is a 7.0 VO2max. That’s pretty high!

Yeah I see stacks both above and below it’s PL.

As you say it’s 7.0, which is “stretch” for me, I see a load below down to 4.8 at 75 mins and 3.5 if I drop it to 60 mins.

1 Like

Looks like they fixed it after I brought it to their attention.

I’ve got a slight annoyance with Alternates.

If you chose an Alternate then you have to “replace” the workout in the calendar before you can then “Load Workout”. However, if you do this, it obviously deletes the original workout which was in there which also updates the target time/TSS for the day/week. I like to be able to see the original weekly target and then if I increase that, I can see that I went above/beyond the intended time/stress.

It would be nice if you could just “Load Workout” direct from the Alternate function. :slight_smile:

I’ve asked for this via a feature request.

1 Like

if I use an alternate, do I have to delete the original workout from my plan?

The original workout will be replaced by the alternate you chose.

3 Likes