🎉 🎉 🎉 Introducing Adaptive Training! 🎉 🎉 🎉

Looks like you’re spot on. I messed around with the outdoor workout by setting it to “unplanned,” noting the PL levels and then re-matching it with the same TR workout. That gave me the levels that changed, so I added the changes to my ride notes. I’ll call this my “beta workaround.” :wink:

2 Likes

Am I getting credit for adding a workout on my off day with Train Now?

Also, no credit for 20-60 min extra endurance at the end of workouts?

• Maybe. Keep in mind it may depend on what you mean by “credit”.

Any ride you do has the potential to impact your Progression Levels. But, the details of the Workout Level compared to your current Progression Level, your answer to the ride completion survey, and the actual execution of the ride all come together to determine what if any change you will see in your Progression Level, or future training plan adaption. Simple, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

Unrelated to AT, you will of course earn the TSS as you would for any ride. So that may be “credit” to some people too.

• There is no impact to Progression Levels since AT ignores the warm up and cool downs.

If you plan to do a major extension, I think it’s a tad better to use a separate ride. But, as mentioned above, unless the ride is notably higher than your current PL in that level, you won’t likely see any change. So it may not really matter one way or the other.

2 Likes

So I usually do MV plans. But I was planning on doing LV for a couple months and do a 2-3 hr endurance ride on one of my off days.

Those are always moderate. Doesn’t matter what my ftp is set at. I can do SS and below all day. But above ftp is a different story.

1 Like

Yeah, depending on the PL you have for Endurance, and the levels you choose for the extra rides, those could well be high enough to kick up your Endurance Progression Level.

Seems more likely considering that there is not a ton of Endurance Level work in a Low Volume plan in most cases. I think that could work well to fill in the “gap” and kick up the Endurance PL nicely.

1 Like

Got hit by the sync bug today and didn’t realise. Really long day (went into train at nearly 23:00) so I picked a slightly easier adaptation… except whilst it synced to the web, it didn’t sync to my garage computer. I didn’t notice, and did the full fat version anyway.

I’ll take it as a win. lol

1 Like

Ive just started the AT Beta, and its giving me double workouts on some Tuesdays. MV Plan
next Tuesday is week 2 and have VO2 Max 1hr and Bald Knob -2 scheduled.

Is this normal, or have i done something wrong, searching forum, couldnt find anything recent in relation to double scheduled workouts?

HUgh

1 Like

No, double is not normal.

Are you sure your calendar was completely empty from old plans before applying any new one?

If you moved workouts from an old plan, they can be left behind even if you delete the old plan.

1 Like

Ok thanks, maybe they were there already. My bad!

Workouts in specialization plans can be rather sensitive to holes in the workout library with AT.

In the mid-distance triathlon plan, in specialization, I had a 2.5h race tempo effort, i.e. essentially a race day simulation. It got adapted to a 1h Olympic distance pace effort.

I went back and forth with support a few times and we established that this was indeed the closest match in difficulty in the library, but I’m not sure I got across that this was just wrong in terms of periodization/specialization.

Luckily it’s easy to fix these kind of mistakes by hand but it does make me understand why AT is going to be in beta for quite a bit longer :slight_smile:

I’m a little disappointed and confused. I’ve nailed every workout for weeks, and the only adaptations that I ever get is to make everything easier. I’m feeling stronger than a few weeks ago and it just bumps everything down, not even keep things unchanged.

1 Like

Shoot an email to support. There are so many factors at play here – where you are in your plan, what zones it is actually trying to progress (it’s chasing progress in relevant zones not all of them), indoor vs. outdoor (changed in the last week or so), survey responses per workout, etc. As such, we’d need a lot more information (and granular information at that) to understand why it may be doing what it’s doing, so support would be your best bet to answer your questions and address any confusion.

Is AT applied to the Polarization training plan too? If it’s not, what happens if the workout said: “not recommended”? I didn’t see any alternative workouts to choose from.

I do all my rides indoors. Just finished LV SSB 1 and I add 30-45 min aerobic to each ride and when I have time extra endurance rides on off days. Every ride was moderate or easy score and no fails. Just had ramp test last week on a tired day and ftp went up by 4w and I manually increased it another 5. 1st SS ride after felt easy and had to manually increase the last set’s intensity 10%. Then yesterday had my 1st hard rated ride which 3x10 over unders bookended by 20min aerobic and I added more aerobic (starlight -2). Today, it wants to lower my workouts on SS’s from 3.6 to 3.1. Why???

Sounds really odd. Are you able to post a screenshot of your last week or two?

Increasing FTP will result in reduced PLs, so that could explain part of it. Also note that AT doesn’t account for those extra rides from my current understanding, so while they mean something to you, the ML doesn’t get it quite yet. In any case, a drop of .5 isn’t huge, and below is my best guess as to what’s happening. To be clear, this is 100% pure speculation as I have no inside knowledge at all.

It is possible the aim for the next workout is to be achievable rather than productive. In my experience this means the workout level can be anything equal to your current PL to anything down to 1.0. If it’s doing this, I assume (and it’s a big assumption) you’re getting into threshold or VO2 workouts of base now, and it’s looking to maintain your SS level while progressing your threshold or VO2 instead. If this is the case, my guess is that it wants your SS work to be moderate rather than hard so you can nail the other workouts instead. This is what I meant by relevant zones in my initial reply. AT appears to me to focus on one zone at a time while maintaining the others it has already progressed. In your case, my guess is it’s happy with your SS level currently and is now targeting threshold or VO2 instead.

Again, to get a very direct and honest answer, I’d recommend emailing support@trainerroad.com. They have actual answers rather than my wild speculation.

2 Likes

Sure. Here are the last 2 weeks with the proposed adaptations. 2 weeks ago was a recovery week of LVSSB1. I switched to a MV plan because I feel recovered from my Ironman 6 weeks ago

it seems like you haven’t done a lot of vo2 or sweet spot stuff, which is why adaptive training is pushing your levels down in those areas. I don’t want to state the obvious, but each area is scored independently of each other. So you’re getting a vo2 1.6 tomorrow because you likely haven’t done any scored vo2 work near the 4.3 level

2 Likes

Hi TrainerRoad team, et al,

I fear this question has been answered multiple times…if someone would kindly direct me to the answer whether it be addressed in a previous post and/or a faq. Here goes…

I’ve recently need invited into the Adaptive Training Closed Beta. Having just completed Specialty Phase (non-Adaptive), I’d like to jump straight to Build Phase (and bypass Base Phase I&II) . Would someone please let me know how this is achieved in the Adaptive Training Closed Beta? Is it just as simple as pressing the “Activate Adaptive Training” Button on the closed beta email invitation, setting up my next 12 mos training Plan via Plan Builder, deleting Base I & II Phases from my training calendar and then moving up Build Phase to my desired start date?

Much appreciated,
Blake

Looking at this, I think my speculation may have been correct. You’ll notice the progression for threshold has remained constant (0.5 increase week over week) while the workouts around it are being dropped a bit. This says to me it is working up your Threshold Level now and dropping the others so it can keep that progression ramp going strong. There is an argument to be made that your levels don’t need to drop in SS and VO2, but I can also see the argument of dropping them to shift focus as well.

1 Like