🎉 🎉 🎉 Introducing Adaptive Training! 🎉 🎉 🎉

It is absolutely reasonable that if your FTP changes your PLs will also change - if you imagine completing a SS workout at 217 FTP where the intervals are at say 206 (95%), it’s going to be very, very difficult with a 12% FTP bump - the intervals would be 232 instead! The PLs are relative to your FTP - if your FTP changes, so will the PLs.

3 Likes

I reduced my FTP following a bout of food poisoning - my PLs increased to match (kind of the inverse of your situation). I can’t interrogate the underlying logic/maths, but the workouts felt OK afterwards.

Most people rarely if ever see FTP bumps that big at once, you should be stoked! :wink:

4 Likes

Can someone clarify what level workouts AT comes up with after resetting PL’s to 1.0?

Do you get a workout at level 1, the base workout from the non adapted published plan for that stage of the plan, or something else?

1 Like

I haven’t had everything reset to 1.0 but I did have a large reduction in PLs after my last ramp test and my Threshold level went from 3.1 to 1.3. It was at 3.1 because I’d struggled in a 4.4 a few weeks earlier, and in subsequent weeks I had events on the weekend which meant I hadn’t actually done any further threshold workouts. Going to 1.3 seemed a bit much, when my FTP rise after the ramp test was tiny.

I can confirm that my very next workout was reduced to Buttertubs +2 (Threshold 1.6) - listed as productive at the time. I probably could have used alternates to go a bit higher, but I’ve decided to just go with things for now. I then went through Centennial -2 (Threshold 2.3) the week after, then Charlotte (Threshold 2.9) the week after that.

So now my level hasn’t even reached what it was prior and I’m back in another recovery week!

At this rate I can imagine my threshold level never increase beyond 3/4, and I can see why some would be worried about being undercooked by this. For now I’m just happy to not be overcooked, and going with the flow :slight_smile: If it becomes more of a concern I think choosing a harder alternate would short-circuit things.

4 Likes

I assume that eventually (soon I hope?) manual FTP updates will have the same effect on PLs as doing a ramp test? Asking for those of us who adjust on feel every few weeks and/or do the Kolie Moore test instead of the ramp :wink:

Hope I’m not adding more chaos with my special snowflake comments lol. Looking forward to seeing AT get more fleshed out and mature with each update. Keep up the good work, TR!

Thanks. I assumed that would be how it works, but i asked the question in the hope it might be different!

I think I will stick with my PL progressions at this point as I think any gains in FTP would be marginal (if any at all) as I can’t match longer FTP test results in Ramp Tests anyway

I’m considering doing the same, heading into specialty now, but haven’t decided yet.

One thing to be fair - in my case part of the reason my PLs flatlined is because I had a few weeks with B events which replaced workouts. If the work I did in those events counted towards PLs, it wouldn’t be so bad. So once that work is done I think it will be much better.

1 Like

Question. I am running AT and am in my last week of the build and next week start my specialty section. Should there not be a ftp test for the specialty? Or is AT increasing the workouts so that a ftp test is not needed?

Hmm I’m starting century specialty next week and a ramp test is scheduled. I’m not sure if there are cases where plan builder skips it for specialty? I can’t say I’ve ever seen that. Is your specialty phase being shortened by plan builder due to the timing you had available? That could explain it.

I can confirm that I don’t have one in the middle of the specialty phase, but that’s as per the plan.

Yes you are correct. My 700Km Rockies Stage race is 3 weeks into specialty. Seems pretty advanced if its skipping the Ramp test to focus on structure.

Still kind of want a ramp test to see. lol.

2 Likes

Is there definitely a difference as it stands? I thought it just went off change in FTP…

1 Like

IMG_2128 New FTP

You should definitely raise a ticket with TR Support regarding that UI display mis-calculation error (wrongly stating 1.2% instead of 12.4%). I don’t recall anyone else posting about that issue previously, so perhaps it’s crept in recently. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Thanks for your advice. I have sent that email right now to the support.

1 Like

After my PLs got reset to 1.0, the workouts haven’t changed. till now
So I have for example:
Endurance 1.1 (today)
Threshold 4.0 (tomorrow)
Anaerobic 1.7 (day after tomorrow)
Sweet Spot 3.1 (next week Tuesday)
VO2 max 5.8 (with the info within the workout “Not Recommended”).

Therefore I still don’t understand that reset of all my levels to 1.0 and then having “not recommended” workouts in my calendar. I have just sent an email to the support.

1 Like

Interesting. Were adaptions recommended and if so accepted or rejected?

Maybe I found a bug then? I’ll check again on my next test/change in a few weeks. I thought they reset to 1 the other day when I fired up this training plan and made a tiny manual change in FTP.

Is there any plan for an interface showing levels over time? I appreciate that I can look back through my previous rides and do it manually, but obviously that’s a bit of a pain!

2 Likes

All I can say from my own personal experience is I manually reset my FTP down (288 to 275) following some food poisoning and mine did not reset to 1.

1 Like

I also think this would be a cool feature!

1 Like

UPDATE: The fix for this has been released!
After updating, if you’re still experiencing inaccuracies in the display of your Progression Levels between Career Page and calendar, workouts, etc, please reach out to the team at support@trainerroad.com.

7 Likes