🎉 🎉 🎉 Introducing Adaptive Training! 🎉 🎉 🎉

Doing any ride, particularly an indoor workout, should reward the user, not provide negative feedback by dropping their progression level.

If your threshold PL is 5, and you want to be conservative after time off, and do a workout at 4, completing that workout successfully will end up with a reduced PL.

On the other hand, doing no riding will keep that PL at 5, unless decayed over time. This is classic negative feedback and should be corrected, if possible. But I’m not sure how.

It’s already confirmed as an error, so nothing to worry about. It is just a bug.

1 Like

Definitely use alternates if you haven’t yet started the workout. If you have started it, imagine you have a strict coach and either

1. Tough it out if it feels hard
  2. Tap it out of it feels easy

Then you’ll be better prepared for either: the next testing workout; or deserving of the upcoming recovery

I just had something like this happen. Did a stretch Sweet Spot session and the website has me losing 0.5 of a level (marked session as hard). Prior to going in my Sweet Spot level was 3.7, and now it’s 4.9.

Adaptive Training gets more and more bizarre.

Edit - I see it’s now a known bug.

Are there any near-term plans to allow users to specify specific durations for each day in Plan Builder? I know this has been brought up before and is more of a PB thing than AT, but now that’s it’s factoring into AT (and I don’t want to break AT by manually changing workouts ahead of time), this seems relevant to the AT discussion. With a baby in the house, I really need to limit to 60min during the week and maybe 75 on the weekend.

3 Likes

Notwithstanding the value of your request, which would be useful for many.

You can change your future workouts in advance using Alternates to the desired duration. They will still adapt. The obvious problem then is they can adapt back to say 90min and you’ll go back to a 60min adaptation, but it at least means your workout level is right

2 Likes

Ahh gotcha. So this is a possible point of confusion that could be improved, but I was just reading the Support page for workout alternates and this is what I was concerned about. Maybe this has been changed since this page was written?

Oh, i might be mistaken, but I’m pretty sure it works as I posted above. I’ve just had workouts I’d changed via Alternates that were adapted. I’ve just gone through and re-alternated them.

1 Like

How long does it take y’all’s adaptations to update after a ride? I just got added to the beta a little over a week ago, and I think for the first few days, it was pretty quick (a matter of seconds). Lately, when I finish a workout and submit the survey, it just spins indefinitely. I have to close out the app and reopen it to see what progressions actually happened.

I’ve had this on the iOS app. Seem to only happen to me right at the end of the ride.

Just kill it and log in and it’s fine (or log in somewhere else - like a browser). It’s a bug (reported).

1 Like

Have my latest vlog up. Hopefully if I do a crit this weekend I’ll be able to bridge between AT and my performance in competition so if you’re curious I’d urge you to sub and stay tuned!

4 Likes

Is anybody else seeing workouts in the calendar with different Levels on different interfaces? See below the same workout is both Breakthrough and Not Recommended. The Progression Levels are also different. (-1.6 and +0.1). These images are from the Web client, and the IOS app.

I believe it’s a known bug due to under the hood stuff they’ve been changing.

I had a completed workout yesterday that was WL5.2, my PL is 6.4, and the rating was “not recommended” and scored +5.2.

I came on here and saw there has been some funky stuff with the Levels displayed etc due to a change they made, but Ivy said it doesn’t effect actual PL (which is my experience, PL are fine).

2 Likes

CONFIRMED. Your Career Page ‘Progression Levels’ area is the only safe place to accurately show your PLs right now haha. Apologies for all the confusion and trouble, we’re hustling to get that fixed. As many of these bugs turn out, its trickier under the hood than it seems. :v:

4 Likes

I hope that fix for the progression levels dropping after an FTP test isn’t in yet, because I just did a test today and all my levels dropped by ~4.

Hi there, after my Ramp Test today ALL progression levels went down to 1.0; before the ramp test, they have been between 5.4 - 2.3 - 3.7 - 4.5 - 5.8 - 1.1 - 1.0.

The (very gentle and ultra fast!) chat support at first responded, “In short, Progression Levels automatically adjust if FTP changes, and while I can’t explain the exact workings here, the Levels preserve their relative relationship with each other and learn from the outcomes of your previous Ramp Tests to optimize how they adjust.”

Then the support wrote: “Because your FTP increase was so significant, it caused all of them to reset. If your FTP increased only a small bit, then they would all lower, but likely at different rates.”

Furthermore the calculated FTP gain of 1,2% is wrong. It is 12,4% (217 x 1,124 = 244). Are there any negative consequences regarding the adaptions with this wrong gain percentage?

What do you guys mean: everything correct here or should I contact again the support?

1 Like

I’d try again with Support. I can’t believe that this is the intended design of Adaptive Training.

If it is intended, it leaves the athlete with no option but to try and choose a PL somewhere at or below their old numbers for their first workout (if they happened to screen shot them), or selecting the clearly ridiculous level of 1. How do they make that decision? Surely AT can do better with a reasonable guess to start with that gets tweaked up or down based on the outcome of the first workouts.

It’s not listed as a bug, so I hope this isn’t the solution!

in my case, I have avoided making any changes to my FTP on Beta for this very reason. I’m just progressing the PL’s. Not ideal, but there is the benefit of progressing the PL’s further than i have ever done before (Threshold at least).

1 Like

Thank you @PotsieA. I was so happy after increasing my FTP today and now I am kind of frustrated because I don’t know what happens to the planned workouts and my further progression, if the workouts will not be adapted right. I wasn’t aware of that “after ramp test progression level situation”.

217 to 244 is a big jump (it is clearly 12.4% - they are right there - 244-217=27, 27/217=0.124, 0.124=12.4%). I would expect a big reduction in PL as well. Whether they should all be 1 - I don’t know, but it’s possibly reasonable.

2 Likes

Thanks @bobmcstuff . If you have also done a ramp test: was the app calculation in your case right or also wrong as in my case?