🎉 🎉 🎉 Introducing Adaptive Training! 🎉 🎉 🎉

Apologies if this has already been answered, over 3000posts so it quite possibly has.

As I understand it outdoor rides won’t count towards you adaptive training.

Does this mean they won’t effect your levels or adjust your next day workout? My assumption is that TSS would adjust an upcoming workout, is that right?

I love the idea of Adaptive Training, but during summer I can’t use it reasonably without outdoor Wahoo support, and preferably unstructured ride support as well.
Therefore disabled for now.

Looking forward to testing again once that’s fixed, and thanks for all the ongoing improvements!

TSS has nothing to do with Adaptive Training.

Progression Levels are what matter. As of now, only TR workouts on the app and TR outside workouts on Garmin are counting towards Progression Levels.

So, anything else is ignored and won’t change PLs, meaning TR is missing data and will only offer to drop workout difficulty since you PL can’t be raised by what it doesn’t see.

1 Like

As it stands, the only outdoor rides that will cause adaptations to future workouts are those done using TR outdoor workouts done through a Garmin head unit (and in my experience, synced from Garmin connect).

TSS (or some other measure of recent training load that TR algorithm uses - I assume it’s TSS though) affects the workout recommendations from TrainNow, so if you haven’t got a workout scheduled, TrainNow suggests workouts based on your recent training - that’s been a general release feature for a little while and probably where you’re coming from?

The future plan is for all rides (indoor and outdoor) to count towards AT but there’s no timescale on that yet.

(edit: wot Chad said :smiley: )

2 Likes

Thanks Chad, I catch what your saying regarding PLs.

What I’m trying to workout is how/if AT will adjust if I got out for an all day mountain session and I’m scheduled for a training session the next day. I don’t have any means of measuring power on the MTB.

Not always as committed to turbo time during the good weather but trying to I find how outdoor fun blends with indoor training using AT.

• As of now, it doesn’t sound like they have that covered or planned. Maybe there is some consideration hiding in there for TSS and “surprise” work like you describe, but I’ve not heard anything related to it.

Short story, you probably still have to adapt your plan manually if you deviate significantly from what is on your calendar.

1 Like

What I’d do here is use the Alternates function to select a shorter or more achievable workout. Or push the workout to the next day, and do a TrainNow ride (which would probably be a recovery ride in this case).

1 Like

In the words from Great Britain’s PMs during Question Time: “I refer the right honorable gentlemen to the answer previously given.” Please do not state that structured workouts on a Garmin synced via Garmin Connect work. Five days ago TR confirmed that they do not work consistently, and nowhere have I seen anything from TR stating it has indeed been resolved. Individuals may be having some luck with this, but some of us are not and it is acknowledged as a TR issue. Stating that this is working adds confusion to this already complicated and confusing way of supporting end users by having folks wade through extensive threads on this forum. (And yes, I’m a bit ornery on this).

I’m well aware of the current inconsistencies re: Garmin. I also don’t have a ton of time to list each and every exception in all instances when dealing with issues like this. Free help is what you pay for, so I apologize for not rehashing the minutia each and every response I offer. Having to repeat it over and over with each new entrance of testers gets a bit taxing at times, so I fall short on occasion.

5 Likes

@mcneese.chad Sorry that my frustration with TR may have filtered over onto you. I am very appreciative of the amount of time and energy you spend here, and we’ve had great discussions here and offline.

My frustration threefold: First, AT has been overpromoted and continues to be by TR based on what actually is available and working. Second, the model for supporting AT has some big gaps (and I know you’ve expressed your frustration with that and how you’ve attempted to help TR make things better). Third is that many of us, including you, have tried hard to get clear info from TR and seeing statements that something is working when TR has acknowledged that is isn’t leads me to try to offer the best info I have to others who may be as confused as some of us about what actually works in AT (which, IMHO, is a whole lot less that in implied or actually stated by TR).

I tried to add a little levity to making my point, but that obviously didn’t work. Again, my apologies.

2 Likes

Notes from Nate, largely about outside workouts:

3 Likes

Any chance of an update on when beta AT might be available to those of us training indoors (for which beta AT seems to have been working for months) and who couldn’t care less about what head units people use for outside workouts? :wink: :rofl:

3 Likes

Asking now…I think we can move it to a self serve “early access” preview soon. But a show stopper bug could prevent that.

There’s one update I see coming in that I bet our COO will want in before we move to early access. But there could also be more stuff.

10 Likes

Thanks Nate, appreciate the follow up.

Here’s the status:

We have a big bit of code coming in right now that’s in testing. We want that to go out and have a few days in production to confirm that there aren’t any big bugs.

As soon as that’s stable, we’ll move AT to early access which means anyone can turn it on themselves via our website.

Soonest would be like a week. The latest would be like 1 year :sob:

I joke about the year but as those in software know, you never know how long an unknown bug will take to fix

42 Likes

Nate, thanks so much for the quick reply and transparency on the update.
Can´t wait to tackle AT! :wink:

Thanks again Nate. If it’s not ready for general early access next week, then just those who have been sitting (sometimes patiently) in the beta waiting room since 25 Feb would be fine by me :grin:

2 Likes

Appreciate the update on general access ETA Nate! As a user who has been on beta waiting list since announcement day, this is great to hear! :hugs:

2 Likes

I understand this is the current functionality, but I think it likely should have something to do with AT eventually.

Say I do something stupid and go way off plan and do 4 300 TSS rides in 4 days - AT should be able to detect this and adjust accordingly. It already has functionality to address forced time off (travel, injury, whatever), and completely ignoring the non-structure is a limiter

Now, as to whether it does this by using TSS or starting to properly review unstructured outside rides is immaterial to me. I think they could likely get there faster by looking at TSS than not adjusting to these types of situations until they can fully process unstructured work.

Sure. I am speaking in the present tense with whatever has or has not been mentioned by TR.

Suggesting this issue as something for a Feature Request makes sense, and may already be in mind with TR despite me not hearing anything about it.

1 Like