🎉 🎉 🎉 Introducing Adaptive Training! 🎉 🎉 🎉

Happy to speak to timelines. In an effort to expedite the development process of AT, we have added athletes in larger groups based on an evolving set of criteria that help us address specific aspects of the product that we are working on at that moment. That criteria evolves and changes as we continually make progress with Adaptive Training, and it has allowed us to actually accelerate the rate of newly added athletes to the closed beta!

That said, its hard to tell on an individual basis when athletes will be added, and we want to make sure its fairly dialed before releasing to all of our athletes. That timeline unfortunately isn’t clear yet while we continue to identify and isolate the bigger roadblock issues. If you need help updating or changing your current plan to meet your needs, let us know (either here or via PM or via support@trainerroad.com). We’re happy to lend a hand. :v:

6 Likes

I think this is an interesting mental separation we will have to get used to between what we are capable of and what we’ve “done” during that training block. I don’t think our progression levels will ever be fully reflective of our capability in all systems at one time because realistically you don’t train them all in every block. My SS PL is a meager 3.1, but I completed Wright Peak SS 8.9 back in Feb at the same FTP and it was easy. However, my levels have degraded because I usually go outside since Spring and Summer rather than doing my SS workouts. I’ve wrestled with just doing one of each type so I can get the bling on my Progression chart, but I don’t think that is really a disciplined way of dealing with this.

3 Likes

I’ve been visiting in laws the past couple of weeks but finished the first half of short power build HV at the local gym on a stages spin bike like I usually do when I visit. This is my current PL status, I did a ‘stretch’ endurance workout Sunday (I quote stretch because my endurance was probably high given the 5hr century I did 3 weeks ago not captured by progression levels). Anyhow, looking pretty balanced and not so endurance/sweet spot heavy

I know this has been asked and answered somewhere in here, did a ramp test, up 20w, progression levels basically reset to 1, tomorrow’s workout is not being adapted but the others are, what’s everyone doing? Accepting the adaptation or doing the next workout with the hope that that sets the levels.

I hear ya; I signed up in early March, still nothing. I’m starting to wonder if it’s real

1 Like

Not quite that. I was doing the Polarised Plans but the endurance workouts weren’t being accounted for. So I’d do something like Ptarmigan which was classified as a “Breakthrough” workout being given 5.9 vs my then PL of 3.0 but the PL would remain the same. I was giving them “Moderate” in the response survey which might have kept things down but shouldn’t have kept them the same. At the same time I’d do threshold or VO2max workouts and rate them “Hard” or “Very Hard” and get PL improvements so the system was working for some PLs but not others.

Also that block of long rides was during the same training block meaning I was doing the relevant training and using it but AT didn’t recognise either (I know it’s not currently going to recognise unstructured outdoor rides) which is definitely a bug.

Add a workout button on the calendar in the app not working since updated to Adaptive Training. Can’t add runs and swims in the app at the moment.

Email support@trainerroad.com so they can review your issues.

1 Like

Why are levels dropping so quickly? I did a 6.2 endurance ride on 6/27 and today my endurance score is down to 4.2. I get the “decay” thing but this seems quite excessive because now the endurance workouts i know I can do are in the Stretch/Breakthrough category which also ruins what TrainNow is going to recommend. Is the decay thing specific to certain zones? One would think that an aerobic base doesn’t go away so quickly

I am currently not in a plan but just doing random workouts to supplement outdoor riding.

Also the post-ride survey responses are not syncing over to the website from the MacOS app until I close out of the app and then re-launch it

Lastly it seems like when adding some workouts to my calendar the progression difficulty thing doesn’t appear. If I look up Nevado or Black Pine in the workout library they show their Vo2 score and level, but when I actually add them to my calendar the ratings seem to disappear

Separate question: in its final iteration how is AT going to work for me, someone who follows a plan (not through plan builder because I don’t race or do specialty) for a few months in winter and then supplements with random workouts during the summer? As it is now it seems all my progression levels will erroneously reset to 1.0 or so and then I won’t be able to get proper workout recommendations, and AT seemingly doesn’t even work outside of plan builder for now.

Is AT going to work with regular plans down the road, and is it going to factor in unstructured outdoor rides too, at some point?

TR has said this is the plan, but there’s no timeframe on either feature yet.

1 Like

Identified issue regarding PL decay rates:

Guessing the fix Ivy refers to hasn’t yet been released :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Thanks for that. Sorry these threads are big and packed with posts so I appreciate you highlighting the responses because I don’t really read through here until I have an issue

4 Likes

Thats probably right TBH, but nonetheless, the team at support@trainerroad.com can double check.

I dont blame you, there are almost 4000 posts currently :rofl:.

Working on some better resources and education materials for athletes to help out!

5 Likes

If there was a thread just for AT issue updates that only you or other mods could post in I think that would be helpful. Kind of a “issue identified” type thing so if someone had an AT problem they could quickly check out the thread and see if it’s already been identified/being worked on or it’s something new. This way we don’t have a dozen posts about the same thing

2 Likes

Totally. It will probably look like a support document, and will ideally include some FAQs such as: “I completed ‘x’ workout, why did I get ‘x’ result in Progression Level change?”. Hoping to help clear up some common points of confusion about AT!

2 Likes

I’ve asked for this a few times. A specific thread where only trainerroad can post new information on the topic. Right now we have 2 different threads with thousands of posts from everyone. Hard to find anything.

7 Likes

I think the first post in this thread gives the TR staff’s update.

At times they do. At times they reply in either thread and it does not make it to the top of the thread.

1 Like