🎉 🎉 🎉 Introducing Adaptive Training! 🎉 🎉 🎉

Did a 6 hour ride at the weekend at over 17mph and yesterday 1 hour Pettit was graded as a Stretch workout :smile::smile::smile:

1 Like

11 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

hmm…

vs

Think I’m going to trust improvements in my power curve!!!

3 Likes

If I complete an structured outside workout and it doesn’t associate with my scheduled workout (end up with two versions). Can I just match them to merge them? Or is that a terrible idea?

Yes, if you did an outdoor TR workout and it didn’t associate property, associating manually it is the appropriate way to correct that problem.

Cheers @BCrossen. Between yourself, @mcneese.chad and a few others you are a great help in navigating AT. Support have been great as well I have to say.

I seem to have hit a bug unfortunately so AT can’t give me credit for my PL. It may have had something to do with me attacking climbs a wee bit in the last few intervals :sweat_smile:. My average power might have stayed in the target zone but let’s just say it was a bit on the spikey side :joy:.

2 Likes

AT just suggested much lower weekend workouts for me for no apparent reason. I’m assuming it’s wanting me to rest, but it happened after I completed an easy Z1 workout this morning. I’ve had no trouble with completing any of the workouts.

1 Like

I’m getting the feeling from people’s comments / questions on adaptation and PL ramp rates that this now has the same “problem” as TSS ramp rate: what is the appropriate mix of the following workouts:

• Achievable
  • Productive
  • Stretch

Same with: what PL for Sweet Spot / Threshold should I be able to do if my FTP is set correctly?

1 Like

Keep in mind that Wahoo Outdoor workouts won’t be giving you credit (although you can answer surveys). Garmin is supposed to be working, although I don’t have a Garmin head unit and cannot confirm it first-hand.

As of a few hours ago support confirmed that structured outdoors workouts on Garmin are still being failed and giving no pl increases, even when when one responds “I didn’t struggle” and completed the regular survey. They are actively working on it.

6 Likes

I’m using a Garmin 530. It’s mostly going well. My PLs have adjusted correctly for 2 out of 3 of my outdoor workouts. Indoor workouts have all been fine.

1 Like

This is a really good question, and part of a more general question that I have been asking myself - What is the intended goal of Adaptive Training progressions? If I had to define it, I would say, “Provide incremental progress as fast as possible, constrained by signs of overtraining/overreaching, and based on the goals of a given training plan.”

Knowing the intent of what problem AT is trying to solve, makes it easier for me to know how to assess effectiveness, even in beta. As @russell.r.sage states in his post above, I have had plenty of adaptations over the past 2+ months that don’t really make sense on face value. Most of my progress has been from me selecting harder workouts or not accepting adaptations.

Since I am in the beta and I believe in the promise, I am OK with this. I just don’t know how to even give feedback on if the adaptations/progressions are working as intended.

1 Like

Maybe weekly activity? I got in after 3 weeks of 600+ TSS including a ramp test the week before the email.

@IvyAudrain use fo the TrainerRoad Approved graphic is helpful in knowing that something a forum user posted about AT is accurate. Hope you can continue the practice.

And as the poster who was approved, I feel really special :innocent: :wink:

3 Likes

A bit hit and miss IME. (I’ve a support ticket open about it)

For me any workout with distinct intervals such as VO2max or threshold workouts do get changes to the relevant progression levels applied. I’m just finishing the Polarised Plans so there’s no adaptations being done but that’s not a problem for me at the moment. For those workouts that are basically one long interval when done outdoors it’s very hit and miss, mostly miss TBH. I get the “Success” response survey but invariably I’ll see something like “Stretch/Breakthrough +/-0” as annotation. Surely if a workout is Breakthrough then there’ll be changes to PLs. I’ve had one (from memory) failed workout survey - I selected “I didn’t struggle” then filled out the success one.

There’s a TR approved post a bit further up saying it isn’t working right on Garmin, apparently.

1 Like

Hmm,

Here’s my calendar - https://www.trainerroad.com/app/career/bobw/calendar, also all the workouts are public so should be possible to check. As you can see, today’s workout (Beehive) showed no PL changes but last Sunday’s workout (Vogelsang) did.

Sierra+1 = Stretch +1.3
Churup = Productive+0.8
Withington = Stretch+1.5
Etc.

As you can also see, most of the Endurance workouts get the “X +/-0” attribution which is why Vogelsang gets “Not Recommended +4.7” :flushed:

Here’s my career: https://www.trainerroad.com/app/career/bobw. Until Vogelsang my Endurance PL was at 3.0 which is frankly crazy as I can do multiple 10-12hr days back to back - go back to the end of May and you’ll see four rides entitled “King Alfred’s Way” (the last two are on the same day for some reason), that was an afternoon, two full days and a final morning all laden with bikepacking kit. Endurance at 3.0? I think not.

So my view is that suggested adaptations from outdoor workouts are intermittent rather than working or not working.

I have turned AT off. I will give it another go maybe in the winter after a break.

Have been training consistently 13-15hrs per week all year with races now starting in Canada July to Oct. I feel that AT is way too buggy to be messing around with unfairly low progression levels at this point in the season.

I wish I was able to manually alter PLs to take into account my base endurance etc and previous progression levels when FTP moves just slightly upwards (it reset completely after a 5w increase).

Having to figure out ways to give myself harder workouts so that AT can catch-up with my actual ability defeats the point, lol. I’ll try it again when the work arounds are no longer needed :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Hi, been a TR user since as early as 2008 yet I’m still on the waiting list for Adaptive Training. It was exciting back in February when it was announced. Now its just frustrating waiting for it. Any update on general release please? Thanks :+1:

2 Likes