🎉 🎉 🎉 Introducing Adaptive Training! 🎉 🎉 🎉

Happy birthday!!! :cake:

2 Likes

Thanks Chad :+1:

1 Like

Level decay seems a bit off to me. Just finishing my recovery week and I’ve dropped from a 9.1 Tempo to a 5.9 Tempo and a 10.0 Sweet Spot to a 5.3. Bizarrely my Anaerobic is unchanged at 6.9.

Thanks to the FTP test I’m basically expecting most of those to end up near 2.0 afterwards and my first weeks of the new plan will be comically easy.

Not sure if this is what you mean but I’m manually tracking changes in PL because I’m curious.

How does AT handle substituting the Sunday (normally) sweet spot ride for the longer endurance ride that is suggested in the Weekly Tips?

I’m doing the SSB HV plan and the Sunday SS ride is five levels lower than my current SS PL. I’m feeling a little fatigued and want to do the longer endurance ride. Just wondering what to expect when I do Town Hill instead of Kabati. Thanks!

3 Likes

I did this early on. Outside rides won’t contribute to levels outside of circumstances seen higher up in the thread (Garmin and all that) and your Sweet Spot level will decay after a few weeks. That decay wasn’t too big a deal for me as I was headed to build anyway and that focuses more on the VO2 work, and a high SS PL isn’t as important in that block.

Despite that, I found no detriment to my plan or the rest of the workouts. In fact, I think those rides were really valuable for me despite them not contributing to my levels. Could things have been more optimal? Probably, but I still saw gains and benefits and it totally helped me clear my head and remind me why I love bikes after months of indoor training. For me it was all about staying mentally fresh by giving myself a fun adventure every week than it was for the fitness benefits. The work became play.

In short, go for it! Especially go for it if it motivates you. The best plan is the one you do consistently.

2 Likes

I have a quick question: I’m not in the beta yet and forgive me if this had been covered before in the 3,500+ responses, but what is the recommended way to nudge AT to let you level up? Should I aim for a superpass in a workout? Should I replace workouts manually with more difficult versions and still pass? I have a dumb trainer, so in principle I can put more power to the pedals. On the other hand, it would seem silly to always aim higher than the workout asks for.

I’m not in AT, but have been following along the discussion, and I think you’d be best served currently to use the alternate thing and select a workout a bit higher in level.

1 Like

The recommended levels right now are way too low (I did a 5.1 sweet spot workout with ease), so I can’t wait to be admitted into the AT beta. For now I need adapt it manually. I find the Alternates not as useful as the variants screen that was nixed. I wish I could have both.

So i manually changed my FTP setting, since it was too low for outside riding. Ive been doing the workouts outside - however, i dont get progression levels any longer - eventough I did alot of workouts. Its beta I know - but a bug to mention here :slight_smile: @bnied @Nate_Pearson

Still looking for a good answer on this - If I drag and drop a plan workout onto a different day, does it still disassociate it from the training plan and view it as a skipped workout, or not? @IvyAudrain

If it does then I think it should be added to the list of known issues - I don’t see a reference to it there (and actually it should be added with a resolution even if it doesn’t since I know I am not the only person who would like to know).

I’ve been using the option to change the default workout days to move the workouts around, but this is also imperfect because it also resets the adaptations, which is fine for future workouts in the block as it simply re-adapts them. But if you are pulling a workout onto today it won’t then re-adapt it back to what it was, because AT doesn’t adapt workouts on the same day (plus it’s much more of a faff compared to drag and drop in the calendar).

3 Likes

Dragged/dropped workouts are still dissociated, as of June 14 per support:

We are actually currently working through a bug that causes workouts to dissociate when they are dragged and dropped, so I would avoid dragging and dropping workouts until they are within the current week.

Typically, each week has one workout of each type, which means that their outcomes will not typically affect workouts within that week. More often, they will affect the workouts in the subsequent weeks, so it’s safe to adjust within that week. From what I know at this point, dragging and dropping should dissociate the workout, excluding it from Adaptive Training suggestions.

It’s a Plan Builder bug, not an AT bug, so it’s probably tracked separately. (I agree it should be part of the AT docs/FAQ when they get published.)

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I reorganised this weeks plan this morning using what i thought was the safe method of changing the default days in the block. I just checked and I too have lost my adaptations in the process without any preview to say it was doing so.

I had issues last week with these auto adaptations that i worked through with Support, but never got an answer as to what might be triggering them. Maybe this was it.

I’ll submit another ticket now

1 Like

Well, I did find that future workouts re-adapted back to what they were almost immediately. The only adaptation I lost was the one for the same day - on Monday, I pulled a workout from the Tuesday to the Monday by adjusting the plan days. The future block workouts all reset to the defaults, then I got an adaptations pending message and they went back to what they were. It was just the one that I had pulled from Tuesday which didn’t adapt, since AT doesn’t adapt same-day workouts (fortunately I had the planned workout open in a browser window, so I just swapped it back using Alternates).

1 Like

I’m on SSB MV2 and the Recovery & Sunday SS ride stayed as they were (never adapted anyway), but the the other three workouts have all changed automatically. I had taken a screenshot as backup before changing the days, so I’ll go manual if need be tomorrow

Ticket submitted

Plan Builder has been out of beta for a while now and this is still a huge bug. It breaks plan builder, and now AT, when shifting a workout, which is such a basic thing!

2 Likes

Ah, that makes sense, but it has much more impact now AT is tied in with Plan Builder… I never really noticed it before.

1 Like

I got added 5 days after my Birthday so there’s hope for you yet!

Did FTP test today and all my levels dropped to 1 except 2.1 endurance. Muh gains!

Need to train myself to ignore levels and let RoboChad take the wheel.

3 Likes

Nate also teased an unreleased feature on the podcast last week that will allow you to nudge the level of the workout up or down on the day so you can fine-tune based on how you’re feeling. So it sounds like more options for workout swaps are on their way.

1 Like