🎉 🎉 🎉 Introducing Adaptive Training! 🎉 🎉 🎉

It’s entirely possible that you improved in power output at other areas of your power curve (short or long). If you did the ramp test, is biased towards short term power and doesn’t do a good job showing improvements in how long you can maintain FTP. Few people can maintain FTP for exactly 60 minutes, for most is in the 40-70 minute range. A ramp test won’t show that.

Look at how your progression levels changed from start of your plan to now (I assume AT can slow this). You could see progress

Yes, @huges84, but that is part of my point. My progressions had gone very well, but after the ramp test they have decreased quite a bit.

I think you are relying a bit too much on “expectations”. What matters is what you did in the test, and if you really think you gave it a full pull, or came up short for any reason.

• If you put it all out, take it and continue training. Let AT do it’s job to finesse the plan moving forward.

• If you really feel like the test is not representative of what you can do, either retest or manually adjust your FTP.

Even if there are “expectations”, what are you going to do if you “match them” or if you “fall short”? I’m questioning the actionability of that info.

I have no problem if TR eventually adds it, but I don’t think you need to sweat it right now. You either got an appropriate test or you didn’t. Steps are above, depending on what you know about yourself after the test.

1 Like

Thanks @jarsson, great point!

However, with it setting my Threshold, SS, and endurance progressions lower. I am given the choice of accepting (in case it is indicative of my current fitness) and building the progressions back up over the next couple of weeks, or ignoring, which is what i have been trying not to do during the beta :slight_smile: .

1 Like

@mcneese.chad Great advice, Thanks!!

1 Like

Yeah, I had a similar problem - a tiny increase in ramp test FTP => massive reduction in progression levels. I spent last week ignoring all the adaptations and hand selecting workouts that more or less matched my levels before the ramp test so that I could get them all back to where they should have been in the first place. TR support said this is “expected behavior, but we’re working on improving it”.

I ranked 3 of those workouts “Moderate” and one “Hard”. I have no idea how many weeks it would have taken to build my progression levels back up if I had just let AT do its thing (I haven’t seen the “superpass” effect so far).

I still think AT has a lot of potential, but it seems like it still needs a bit of human supervision at the moment…

7 Likes

AT is supposed to drop your levels after some changes in ramp tests to make the lead into your next week of workouts less jarring. So a progression level drop after a ramp test is definitely expected. However, as you and others in this thread have noted, the drops appear to be much greater than are necessary in many situations, so good on you for also pointing it out.

As for FTP prediction. Nate said it’s something they want to do, but based on every thing that we’ve heard so far, that aspect is completely internal and has not been pushed out to beta users yet. I’m so looking forward to when it finally gets pushed out though because I’m tired of doing ramp tests and would prefer to just chase improvements in my PLs instead.

3 Likes

My $0.02 on this is that its likely to be further out than a lot of the other things they are working on. FTP prediction likely requires a (more) comprehensive view of historic training whereas other enhancements are more individual workout focused and likely to be able to be worked on in isolation.

1 Like

I’m holding off on my FTP test because I’m fairly happy with the way the levels are working for me right now. I’m hesitant to mess with that four weeks out from my event.

2 Likes

question on the progression levels within a plan

if you’re on a low volume plan with the set workouts

1hr
1hr
1.5hr

Will AT keep the scheduled workouts to 1hr/1.5HR? what happens when there are no level x workouts for the 1-1.5hr category? Have you effectively maxed out your progression level for the time constraint?

@IvyAudrain

I want to be 21’st :slight_smile:
Software dev. engineer here, lots of validation experience :wink:

1 Like

As far as I’ve seen, yes to both questions.

I’ve had to manually select alternates on some of my plan workouts as there’s nothing high enough available in the time constraints set by the plan.

1 Like

I’m wondering if this experience will change with the new workouts added. I would hope after adding 600 of them that gaps like this would be filled. That said, some of those high level workouts in those time constraints have got to be brutally hard. :fearful:

Apologies if this has already been answered but does Adaptive Training take into account the manual adjustment of a workout?

Say for example you increased a workout intensity from 100% to 105% and you got through it without stopping and gave a favourable result in the survey. Would it take into account the increase in intensity (of your manual adjustment) for future workouts?

1 Like

Yes, it looks at the Workout Intensity adjustments and will make changes to Progression Levels as appropriate.

2 Likes

TR is going to keep having this misunderstanding until they change the name of the ramp test assessment from “FTP”. Almost certainly your FTP did not go down, and almost certainly you are more fit today than when you started.

Ramp test is an initial guess for setting power targets. That’s it. The workouts get progressively harder during each phase of training. Unless you completely sandbagged on your assessment, you will increase fitness no matter what the ramp result is if you are completing all the workouts.

2 Likes

The main problem is that at some point an endurance will become tempo, then sweet spot, then VO2max. Eventually if you want to stay in the originally intended zone, you need to extend the duration.

2 Likes

In the cases where adaptations were suggested, I don’t think it always replaced like-for-like with time.

I originally thought it would keep weekday rides to 60 min and weekend to 90 min, but have noticed some 1:15 rides get added during the week (normal low volume seems to do this too over the full plan) as well as 1:15 rides in a few instances showed up on my weekend session.

3 Likes

Thanks @NickL , I wish I had taken your approach. I errored on the conservative side and accepted the adaptations. My target events are a ways off, so it’s not the end of the world. I also think I can just sub breakthrough workouts to speed ramp quicker, if I feel it is too much of a step back.

Dumb question but just thinking ahead. I have plan builder with build and specialty, should I just let AT do its thing and not bother updating to the current versions of the plans?