Insanely high workout level

I’m trying to understand something.

I’ve created a custom workout Grasshopper. It’s 4x1-minute threshold efforts followed by four 12-second standing “all out” sprints at 300% FTP, with 4-minute recoveries in between.

It’s intended to be hard, but definitely doable. In fact, I was able to complete it and thought it could be made just a touch harder… Then I noticed that TR gave it workout level 28.7. That looks high!

What gives?

1 Like

Um…

1 Like

I believe this is a known issue for custom workout creations that is yet to be resolved. Perhaps @IvyAudrain can share some insights as I recall this being brought up several months ago, but never saw if it was something the team had fully addressed.

2 Likes

Yup, levels for custom workouts are known to be wrong, wrong, wrong.

4 Likes

Got it, @mcneese.chad. Thanks!

1 Like

15 Likes

I think a lot of them for longer intervals work pretty well. I just did a 3x20/3 at 90% that was a 6.6. Eclipse is like a 7.0.

3 Likes

Good god, @QuittingBikes!

1 Like

WT actual F :joy::joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

If one can theoretically ride at 100% of FTP for an hour then 200% of FTP for 30 min should be doable, if not it means your FTP could be set too high.

8 Likes

Uuhhmmm…no? :thinking:

4 Likes

Based on that logic, Tour riders can do 1600-2000W for 15 minutes. Awesome!!

6 Likes

The PDC is not a straight line

2 Likes

By my best educated guess, I believe this is particularly a problem on workouts that target multiple zones, not necessarily custom workouts.

For example, your custom workout has a few sprints, so it got tagged as an anaerobic workout.
But it has a few threshold intervals in the mix, and these are bumping up the level of the workout.

I made a custom workout a while back with 4x15-minute intervals at 95% FTP. This got marked as a 5.3 Threshold workout, and that seems reasonably accurate as far as I can tell.

On the flip side, look at the workout Ragged +2, this is an official TR workout. It ramps up from 60% to 100%, spending a total time at threshold for about 13:30, but this is tagged as a 5.5 Threshold workout.

Makes sense. It’s also probably 300% FTP. All official workouts top out at 200% max.

Here’s the workout in question, btw. Doesn’t seem all that impressive.

1 Like

It’s probably like you say, if the official workouts top out at 200% then it probably doesn’t really know what to do with 300%.

That SuperTaku one is not feasible…

2 Likes

That’s something I do regularly too. Mostly to increase my TTE @FTP. Pretty simple strategy where I start with a relatively easy 20min @ 200% and slowly build that up to 60min @ 200%. Once completed I do a RAMP test to see if my FTP increased. 100% can recommend :muscle::grimacing:

1 Like

I think you are right about the 300 % of FTP breaking it…
I couldn’t quite do 6x30s @300%, but I might scale it down to 280% and try again…

1 Like

20 minutes at 200% should not be “relatively easy” - if you can it implies your FTP was set badly, badly wrongly!

The standard/traditional FTP test is based on 95% of 20 minute effort. (or 90% the 2x8, or I believe the ramp uses 75% of peak 1 min power). My FTP is around 280, so 20 mins at 200% would be 560 watts… I can’t do that for 2 minutes let alone 20…

If you are doing workouts like SuperTaku, your FTP has been set incorrectly.

Edit: I realise you are probably taking the p!ss…

2 Likes

Yeah, if I had to explain it was meant as a joke it probably wasn’t funny. My bad.

2 Likes