Infrared Sauna recommendations

Hey everyone! looking to add an infrared sauna for home use. If you have experience with any of them what are thoughts recommendations?

Second this, looking at Sunlighten and hearing Costco has some good options, but not sure really how to evaluate. To quote @Nate_Pearson I don’t want to buy it twice.

1 Like

We bought ours from Rocky Mountain Sauna and are happy with it. Two person, no bike or yoga sauna sessions but they have bigger. We did that because of size and plugs in to a standard US outlet for power. The company is veteran owned and offers discounts to other vets. Easy to work with and shipped direct to the house.

2 Likes

I went the Costco route with mine last year. Did the three person, which is really perfect for two people. I did have to have an electrician install an outlet. Its still 110volt but needs a special plug.

Costco delivered and the driver put the pallet in my garage. It was a two person job to move the parts/panels to my basement and then my neighbor and I assembled it in 1 - 2 hours.

I’ve been super happy with it and it works as advertised. On days I use it, I use turn it on before a training session so it is nicely pre-heated by the time I’m done. I tend to mainly use it right after workouts. Super convenient to have at home.

2 Likes

After doing some research online, and listening to podcast, I ended up going with the clearlight premium is3 sauna. He got some of the best reviews for low EMF in quality infrared ceramic heating elements.

Is that “Near Infrared” or “Far Infrared”? Why did you choose one over the other?

For interested folks based in Europe I can recommend Physiotherm. They have a range of IR saunas for private and more commercial use.

Bumping this topic as I’m looking for a home infrared sauna, probably a 2-person. Anybody have current recommendations?

I’m in Canada so not sure if you’re open to shipping from here but we bought a SaunaRay March of last year and have used it at least 5x a week for close to a year now. There’s enough data out there now to prove not just the short term recovery benefits but the long term health benefits. We chose SaunaRay because the wood used is local, and low to zero EMF radiation.

As what others mentioned, take one size bigger than how many you plan on being inside. Just me and my wife use it and we got the 3 seater.

1 Like

Hello @DocSavage , are you still pleased with the Rocky Mountain? I’m thinking of the Durango 3 person model but am interested to know how warm it gets? 140?

140 is the upper limit I go to. I try to jump in after a few minutes on maybe 70 degrees. Sit for 30 and it hits 130+ in that time and I’m sweating like a pig. Then it’s off to a cold shower.

1 Like

I’m still looking for definitive research on whether IR gives the same health and performance benefits of a standard dry sauna at 170-180. Til then I’m sticking w/ gym sauna 4x/week.

2 Likes

I’m sold on having a sauna at home. If for no other reason is I know how clean it is. The IR sauna takes me from cool to raining sweat in 30 minutes. If I go in post trainer ride it’s close to get a mop. I keep a towel on the seat and floor to manage it.

1 Like

The benefits would be the same assuming the core temperature increase is the same. I don’t believe we’re ever going to get to a point where all parties are in agreement and have studies supporting. That said, you can always perform by our own n=1. I’ve used dry sauna at the gym hundreds of times and over the past year have used infrared 10-15 times. I’ve done my own ultra scientific comparison using my core temp sensor and the core temp increase is the same. In truth, it’s actually higher in the infrared since I can actually stay in there significantly longer allowing the temp to climb higher.

1 Like

The big question (for me at least) is whether the IR sauna will get you warm enough to stimulate production of heat shock proteins. The min temp for this in a regular sauna is ~165 F. They should be able to measure those levels in an IR sauna, but as far as I know no studies have looked at it yet.