How to do a FTP test with lactate measurement?

Hello,

Am posing a general FTP testing question here. I just purchased a lactate measurement device that I plan to use at my next ftp testing.

So far the procedure I’ve seen is to start somewhere around 100 to 150W and to increase with 30W every step. The steps should have 3 minutes and no break in between. I kinda know the procedure but not so versed in analysing the results. The only thing I can go of is my previous results and compare the lactate levels to those ones. The lactate would be measured before the power increase at each step in the procedure.

I would like to ask Coach Chad if possible to describe such a testing procedure and the analysis methodology for those of us who want to use such testing protocol.

Kindest regards,
Dragos

This is the best protocol to test ftp. It is like a proper maximal lactate steady state , aka your true FTP, test in a lab. And yes it hurts like a MoFo.

Read this:

As far as the new testing protocols…they are not that painful/hard. Lots of people doing them & discussion here:

Fascatcoaching’s method is described here.

Thanks but this does not use the protocol I‘ve mentioned. I had the same step wise one when doing the vo2max measured at a state of the art swiss hospital. Would appreciate replies that relate to my question. Thank you! Ps: also you have to maintain your rpm higher than 70

FasCat protocol will not get the MLSS nailed. Its a good start but read the paper referenced in the thread for a better method.

OP: If you read the thread referenced you will find a protocol for the step test that is better than the 3 min / 30w steps you were thinking of along with how to graph the data and what to look for.

Determining LT1 and MLSS with a meter is not difficult and the protocols to do it properly are enumerated and dead simple to conduct. Using the data to define training and improve and track your changes is a 1,000 post thread :slight_smile:

-MC

Is 10 minutes really long enough to prove you are at MLSS? The one time I had my MLSS measured (in a lab at the uni), I had to come back on several occasions to perform 30 minute long tests.

I say no, 10 min is not enough for MLSS. Ten min can get you close but then longer efforts needed to get it right. The MLSS test i use is done for 30 min at the predicted MLSS. For reference (I know you don’t need it but for others) see the paper I added to the other thread.

Similarly, for LT1, 3 min bouts with 30 watt steps is not enough time and too broad a jump. I like five min per level and smaller steps.

Depends how how careful one wants to be.

1 Like