How are people getting 100g+ carbs in a bottle?

Again, I dunno… but I think you’re conflating on and off bike diet. The consensus seems to be that on the bike you get a leave pass in terms of how the body handles malto etc. and these highly processed ‘foods’ are ideal for fuelling. Off the bike is a whole different story.

There is a stack of threads that touch on these issues already, here’s another one:

1 Like

Because your body processes different sugars in different ways. The goal is to maximize carb absorption utilizing multiple pathways, rather than just one.

3 Likes

Have you used anything to flavor this? I’d like to add my own lemon or lime flavor to this mix and thinking that maybe just citric acid would be good?

Hello everyone,
I have a question for fueling my workouts. I bought maltodextrin and during workouts i put my bottle only maltodextrin (40-70 gr depends on the type of workout).

So my question is that;
is it enough for carb during my workout (60 gr maltodextrin per hour for expml)

And will it be any problem using maltodextrin for my workout fueling?

And my last question about dextrose. What can you say about it? Can i use it with maltodextrin? Or should i?

Thanks in advance.

Using just maltodextrin is fine. The only reason to combine malto and fructose is if you’re trying to consume more than 60g carbs per hour. They utilize different absorption mechanisms.

Dextrose, fructose, and glucose are simple sugars. Maltodextrin is a complex sugar. The below articles may help and provide some more detail.

1 Like

Thanks for useful and quick answer.

As far as i understand, if i am not consuming higher than 60gr malto, so i don’t need to combine maltodextrin with anything else.

I just found out that dextrose is higher in caloris comparing with matodextrin (i am also trying to loose 4-5 kgs also so caloris intensity is also important for me). So i will go with maltodextrin.

Thanks a lot again. I will read the articles you mentioned also and sorry for my English if i did any mistakes.

1 Like

To your question of is 60 grams enough…

It is very hard for anyone to take on enough calories on the bike to equal the energy spent, given the body’s limitations in carb intake. The best you can do is minimize the deficit and draw down on muscle and liver glycogen.

1 g maltodextrin is roughly 4 calories, so 60 grams maltodextrin = 240 calories.

TrainerRoad provides calorie estimates for each workout, so you can see ahead of time how much fuel you would need to take on to finish “net zero”.

Amber and others often say on the podcast, fully fuel yourself ON the bike, lose weight OFF the bike (in the kitchen).

2 Likes

As you said, it is really hard to take back the cals you burn during workout. I have 320w ftp and i burn a lot more than 400-500 cals per hour. But i consume 60 gr maltodextrin which is 240 cals. So each hour i make deficit actually.

I consume 60 gr carbs but there is still deficit. So should i worry about it? Or can i say i fuel myself enough for workout (60gr carb)? Because i want to loose weight also.

And my the other question is that you say 60gr maltodextrin is ok. What if i try to consume more than 60gr? Lets say 80-90 gr maltodextrin in an hour. What happens?

No real need to worry about it.
See what happens if you consume more mix (went down this thread and most people say that they don’t like the taste, not a real problem vs stomach shutting down, throwing up or getting a code-brown)

60g of maltodextrin is 240kcals, not 400. 1g carb = 4kcals

1 Like

Thanks and sorry for my maths :smiley:

What about my question? If i try to consume more than 60gr maltodextrin per an hour, what happens?

1 Like

For most people it will just sit in your stomach/intestine not being absorbed and potentially causing stomach problems.
Most people can absorb around 60g per hour

1 Like

The reason for this whole discussion is because people were trying to figure out how to take in more than 60g carbs per hour without stomach issues. The answer was to use two kinds of sugar. 60g maltodextrin and 30g Fructose gives 90g per hour without the upset of going over 60g.

I’ll also add that fructose TASTES sweet where malto does not, so if you want your drink to taste sweeter, you can achieve that by adding fructose. If you want to stick to 60g carbs, you could do 40/20 or 50/10. If you don’t care about sweetness, then 60g malto is fine. Where I live, fructose costs more than malto too.

1 Like

I use Gu Roctane Grape. Started with 60g an hour last year through MV plans, then moved up to 90g an hour through SSBHV1 and SSBHV2 this winter. Last 2 weeks of SSBHV2 increased to 100g then 120g for that last week. My stomach seemed to tolerate the mix pretty well with approximately 30oz (0.9L) of water. Starting ShortPB HV this week and I’ll probably try 120g on the really tough days and 90 on the others. Still experimenting and training the gut.

What about the rpe of the workouts? While you increasing carb intake, how does it affects your workouts?

How fast/slow are dried fruits? If i just drink malto and get fructose from dried fruits? Maybe good for longer/easier rides so not the fastest way to go?

It’s my first time doing a HV plan and it’s more weekly TSS then I’ve ever done. So I don’t have a direct comparison as I just upped carbs as TSS increased. RPE is about what I expected, which was a bit challenging at times but doable. I am surprised however that I was able to handle a HV plan and my recovery has been good. I’ve only done TR mid volume plans the past 2 years so I’m happy at age 44 my body could handle the volume.

I am finding HV easier than MV but I don’t know if it’s the extra carbs or the lower intensity of HV.

1 Like

Somewhat off topic for this thread but SSB-MV looks like a build plan to me with VO2 and threshold workouts. I much prefer SSB-HV for base if for no reason other than taking a mental break from intensity.

1 Like

Yes, often think SSB2 (not so much SSB1) is badly named for low and mid volume as not actually much sweetspot at all…more like ‘Build part 1’

How many weeks into HV are you? MV the intensity certainly makes you feel it immediately, HV is like a slow grind that wears you down over a few weeks.