I’m in the last weeks of the XCM HV specialty plan with Tahoe Trail 100 in 2 weeks and Leadville in 6. Over the last three months I’ve plateaued and am now afraid I might be losing fitness. FTP on 3/12/19 was 289 (~4w/kg), and today (6/29/19) was 267. My Thursday night race results have gotten worse over the last 6 weeks also, where I went from contesting the podium in mid-May to way off the pace of the lead group in my class this week (late June). My average race power on the same course was about 30 watts lower, granted I lost some motivation to push after becoming unhitched so early.
Feel free to take a look at my profile. https://www.trainerroad.com/career/zurivelo/calendar
Some questions for anyone who might have the experience and want to lend some advice:
- Could it be indicative of fatigue from recent rides and not a true “loss of fitness”? I did set a power PR for 75-120 seconds on 6/27 right at the beginning of the race. Did I go out so hard to try to stay with the lead group that it broke me? It’s never felt that hard to stay with that group before. I also had a 2-hour power PR on 6/22.
- I had a huge weekend last weekend (almost 400 TSS in two days plus travel). Could this fatigue still be lingering by the following Thursday? Or six days later (today) when I did the ramp test?
- I traveled and slept poorly in the three nights leading up to the last race. Is that worth 30 watts over 50 minutes?
- When looking at my training consistency over the last 3 months, does it make sense that I’ve plateaued?
- What do I do now? I’m not sure if it’s just acute fatigue or symptomatic of overtraining, but need to get on track knowing that I race Tahoe in two weeks and Leadville in six. I guess my options are to either take time off with 14 days to go (how much?), just scale back (how much), or proceed as planned?
Thanks in advance for the analysis and advice.