Heart Rate Deep Dive, Tulsa Tough, VO2max and FTP and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 313

@Jonathan The Vo2 max and FTP question: Three things

1. Podcast timing: On the podcast the question is timed for 1:25, but actually starts at 1:13:30 which is 2/3 of the way through the previous question. It finishes around 1:25.
  2. Chad mentioned that typically
    a) FTP is 80% of VO2 Max, so that suggests that VO2 max is 25% more than FTP.
    … or is that supposed to be 20% more than FTP?
    b) … because in the example, Chad stated that 300W FTP, would be 375W VO2 5 mins efforts (25% more), then corrected it to 360W, which would be 20% more.

I realise this is all a little “athlete specific”, but what is the most reliable percentage increase FROM FTP TO VO2 Max? PS I am trying to do workouts both 120% and 125% of FTP to raise my roof and ceiling :slight_smile:

1. Which is the other podcast that Chad mentions at the start which refers in depth to fractional ulitisation.

Thanks

2 Likes

This episode leaves me with a HUUUGE question mark!!! What are: “COCONUT CRUMB DONUT SLEEVES” ??

I can’t find anything on the web. Please send a link/picture for further inspiration.

Greeting from donut sleeve free Europe :wave:

Some of the ingredients may or may not be banned in European countries. So that might be why you can’t find it anywhere in your neck of the woods.
They are delicious though :drooling_face:

4 Likes

These things are the nectar of life when you have bonked in the middle of nowhere

3 Likes

Peanut butter cookies are the best gas station food and I will fight people over that.

2 Likes

I’m unable to listen. What happened?

He lost a close friend to suicide, had to put down one of his dogs and his mother passed away all while he was relocating from Reno to Spokane practically on his own as his wife was busy with her work. Just a lot of grief and stress piled one on top of the other for months, and it sounds like he was also isolated and alone for a couple months, which of course makes that way harder to handle and process.

1 Like

Is the race analysis for Tulsa Tough up yet? Really pumped to see it.

One of the challenges with the TR environment is that there are actually multiple platforms: web, Win desktop, Android and iOS (not sure if there are different OS for desktop and mobile as I’m not an Apple guy). Then add in whether you’re using a beta app and it gets even more confusing.

When something is announced as a feature, can the team be very specific on whether it applies to all platforms, and if not, specifically where it does? Those of us in the real world aren’t working with the future roadmap, but what is available to us today. Thanks!

1 Like

Any upcoming releases (including the one alluded to in the podcast yesterday) will be announced in-app, as well as through educational content on our blog/social media. We like to think you won’t be able to miss it even if you try! As for the feature mentioned yesterday, it’s coming for everyone/ all platforms, but a technical hangup with some app store stuff delayed it from dropping today as we’d hoped. You’ll know it when it arrives :wink:

7 Likes

I’ve only recently become aware of these delightful little calorie bombs and they are oh-so-delicious.

We usually get a bag of them at our mid-ride stop on Saturdays….and lookatthat, tomorrow is Saturday!!!

5 Likes

Great episode. I enjoyed all of it.

It’s superb to have Chad back. He’s incredible.

Best wishes Chad. Sorry to hear your recent news. That’s a tough run you had.

3 Likes

Great to have Chad back, and kudos for sharing all those issues, best wishes going forward.

What was the IPA Chad said was his favourite? Would like to see if I can get it over here in the UK?

1 Like

Just finished playing around with the new Alternates feature on the Android app.
Very nice addition!

1 Like
2 Likes

Thanks! Doesn’t look likely to be found in the UK :frowning:

Probably not, they’re pretty ubiquitous in Seattle, but I doubt they’ll go international any time soon.

2 Likes

Hey @chad I would love to take a look at the research you cited at 1:51:03. RE: Lower blood volume and it’s impact on VO2. I am a frequent blood donor and am very curious to read! I’ve often felt like donating blood made workouts much harder.

Who did the research? Better yet, where can I find it? Thanks!

I am not Coach Chad Timmerman. You should be tagging him with @ Chad (without the space) to get the one you really want.

1 Like

Sometimes I think instead of saying Leader beside your name it should be “Iamnotcoachchadtimmerman”

2 Likes