Heart rate connections problems all the gear no idea

Hi guys
Completely novice so go easy on me…
I have a home set up to get into cycling to protect my knees ,runner for years!!
Any way I’m having trouble connecting my hrm to my app…
my set up is bianhci full carbon(is this blasphemy on a turbo trainer?:grimacing:). I use a tacx smart and I have a heart rate monitor strap that came with my fenix3 and I have also a fenix5 watch with HR built in… I also run the app on an iPhone 8…
and I can not get it to see any hr on the app… the iPhone 8 has Bluetooth4.0 everything picks it up bar the app… I have scored the internet trying to figure it out… everything is connected and shared amongst my apps … Garmin connect and strava…
should I just buy a tablet ? And what kind … cheaper the better…
I’m not rich I’m just very good and researching and finding great bargains…

Hi @James_Fergus – welcome!

If it’s the default Garmin HR strap that comes with Garmin watch bundles, it’s ANT+ only. ANT+ is another technology used to transmit data over short ranges. The data isn’t showing on your iPhone because Apple doesn’t support it.

There used to be an ANT+ dongle for the old style Apple 32-pin connector, but that doesn’t help you as the iPhone 8 is Lightning.

I guess options could be…

• the new Garmin HR strap which supports Bluetooth and ANT+
  • cheap Android tablet with ANT+ support
  • computer with ANT+ dongle?
  • can your trainer forward the ANT+ data?
1 Like

As above, your issue is that the phone is BLE only, and your HR strap is ANT+ only. They are speaking different languages.

Easiest and most wide ranging solution is a new dual bad HR strap that includes BLE & ANT+. Here are a couple of affordable options.

Your Fenix 5 will work, but you have to set it to “broadcast heartrate”. This is not on by default so it will only show heartrate on the watch. Once you turn on broadcast, it will allow other devices to pick it up. In addition, you want to turn on one of the activity modes - ie. turn on cycling on the watch. This increases the sampling rate for the HR to make it more accurate.

1 Like