Having someone else use my TR account and smart trainer to get their FTP?

My Dad wants to use my trainer (Wahoo Kickr v5 ) and TR account to get his FTP number. He doesn’t have his own trainer or have any intention to do proper indoor structured training but he’d like to test his FTP now and again in a few months just to monitor his fitness gains.

What’s the best way to do this? I guess I can just change my FTP in TR with an estimated figure for my Dad and then let him do a RT and revert the number back to mine after he’s done?

Also, would it be possible for him to link it up to his own strava account without the hassle of me swapping strava accounts in my settings? He has his own Wahoo head unit if this makes it easy?

Many thanks!

Here’s what I would do:

Guess what his FTP might be or just set it low.

Test.

In a couple days, set the FTP to that test result and have him test again.

Create a custom workout that is a ramp with 25w / min steps? That way you don’t need to mess around with your own settings.

TrainerRoad isn’t really set up to support multiple athletes using one account, best course of action is to float your Dad one of your referral codes so he can do a Ramp Test on his personal account .:sunglasses:

9 Likes

For his Strava, just dual record on his Wahoo if he doesn’t care about it showing the TR graphical element.

2 Likes

Dear TR and forum,

How is best to defraud TR?

Kind regards
:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

Good idea, I’ll pm a referral code to @lolage

1 Like

You are just going to anger the AI. Never anger the AI.

3 Likes

I would do exactly that. At the end of the test write down the result but don’t accept the “new” value. You can then download the workout and manually upload it to his Strava.

Hope this is not against TRs terms and conditions. :relieved:

Just have him do a ramp and then delete the ride.
Could say 2 people use the software, just know your ftp and change it prior to the ride.

Of course it is! Technically theft/fraud

I wasn’t able to find anything relevant in the T&C. Though I didn’t look into it in all detail.

1 Like

Direct from TR T&Cs

b. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of any login information associated with any account you use to access our Resources. Accordingly, you are responsible for all activities that occur under your account/s.

c. Accessing (or attempting to access) any of our Resources by any means other than through the means we provide, is strictly prohibited. You specifically agree not to access (or attempt to access) any of our Resources through any automated, unethical or unconventional means.

2 Likes

Something else he could just do is select a local hill and test by riding up it as fast as he can. Then compare his times on Strava or a simple stopwatch / bike computer.

None of which means someone else cannot use the account.

2 Likes

I stumbled across that as well. Though I figured b is more about harm being done as you gave away your account details. C, I figured addresses people copying the plans and workouts to Zwift for instance sake.

How about using Zwift and doing their ramp test? Free accounts get a monthly 25km limit so should be enough for a ramp test. Even if it isn’t as long as you don’t stop you can carry past the 25km limit, you just stop collecting their sweat points. I’ve never tried but assuming during the monthly free trial limit you can perform a workout and aren’t limited to just free riding. That’s the only issue I can see.

1 Like

I would say giving someone access to your account breaches the maintaining confidentiality part of b and using someone elses account breaches part c by accessing not by ethical or unconventional means.

Doesn’t need to breach b though does he. He just sets it up and Dad climbs on bike. No need to share any login.

1 Like

Guess it depends on what’s defined as resources. And no, letting someone use the account is not the same as giving away your login. Me giving someone my Netflix login would breach b. Giving them the remote to pick a show, wouldn’t

Maybe zwift would be a better example, if I give someone my login that’s bad. If I let them jump on my bike to see what the gradients feel like that’s not.

2 Likes