Having someone else use my TR account and smart trainer to get their FTP?

Explicitly prohibited or not, it seems a misuse of the account to share it with someone else even for a “quick test and delete” type of thing.

There are numerous ways to perform an FTP test without using TrainerRoad, that even skirting the rules seems unnecessary IMO.

2 Likes

Why not just use your head unit and do a 20 minute test and record it on that?

3 Likes

I think there are also trial accounts for The Sufferfest. Could do the Half Monty which is a Ramp Test with an additional second component that measures power at a fixed HR.

1 Like

Zwift has a trial for a set amount of kilometers and also has their own version of the ramp test.

1 Like

I’ve done this with some friends when they came over to work on their bikes in my garage. (I have all the nice tools.)

Once done we were talking biking and indoor training. None of them have a trainer or are really strong cyclists, but got kind of pumped about knowing what their FTP was. So I brought my trainer out to the garage, put their bikes on it, and loaded up a ramp test. We all had fun watching each other suffer and they got their numbers.

In this case giving away a free referral code would be useless. They have no power meters, indoor trainers, etc. BUT it did give them a little bit of that excitement of knowing where you stand power-wise. Turns out the one guy was really excited about the idea of indoor training and ended up buying a Kickr. (Probably not the best time to do it as his wife gave birth about 3 weeks after he got it) but he’s going to be getting his free month of TR soon and I’m thinking he’s going to stick with it.

TR is all about bringing more people into the sport, (so we all get faster) and if getting your buddies to gather around and take a ramp test in a garage with their friends cheering them on gets them deeper into the sport, it’s best for all of us.

4 Likes

You have to have your own individual account to use TrainerRoad, and we don’t allow the sharing of accounts between athletes. :v:

2 Likes