Has anyone heard of “Dynamic Cyclist”? Is it BS?

I have been using dynamic cyclist for about 5 months and I find it to be a quick and easy maintenance routine. I found myself fighting the knee pain battle about a year ago. I try many methods to remedy the issue on my own. I finally decided to go visit a PT. They got me on the right track and now I do one or two routines on DC a day. It’s not perfect but it works for me.

1 Like

I initially found this site looking for reviews of Dynamic Cyclist and found the above quite helpful in my decision to subscribe. For me, I’ve been a member of Dynamic Cyclist for about a month and it has been really helpful. I rode hard for years with minimal stretching until my body was so locked up that I literally couldn’t ride at all. The majority of the referred pain was to my right knee but the limited number and duration of stretching and yoga that I was doing before this wouldn’t really touch my issues. The combination of knee, hip and pelvis stretches that dynamic cyclist makes very accessible has left me feeling better than I have in years and hopefully I will be able to get back up to my previous weekly distances and intensity again.

I appreciate the straight forward instructions leading through the routines and into the positions/stretches. I would offer that the site is refreshingly understated. I don’t need a guru to follow just a good program that I can follow to regain my flexibility. The examples in the videos are easy to follow and thoughtfully sequenced. Even the background music is helpful as it isn’t distracting but sometimes when in a new or confronting position I can retreat into the music to get through it. At approximately 15 minutes per routine I find I can easily find time and motivation to, at minimum, do one per day but more likely I combine two or more for a more extended session. I enjoy the way the site keeps track of my progress and feel as if this contributes to my daily motivation and engagement.

It’s certainly not perfect but my grievances are fairly minimal. One thing I’ve had to just overlook has been that the equipment needs that are specified on the workout pages or in a specific video opening are, more often than not, inaccurate. For instance it might state that you will need a towel for a particular exercise but a stretch that would involve a towel isn’t on the video or you will be asked to use a roller for a particular exercise but it wasn’t included on the equipment list for the session. This is minor annoyance that is relatively easily overcome by just having all of my stuff out and ready to go.

Another minor annoyance is that occasionally some stretches will end with you “returning to a relaxed seated position on your mat” only to have the next stretch begin in a standing position or “to return to a relaxed standing position on your mat” only to have the next stretch begin in a seated position. Again it’s easy enough to quickly sit down or stand up but it’s not as smooth or fluid as when those two align nicely.

On the whole I really appreciate how I am benefitting from Dynamic Cyclist and will continue my membership into the foreseeable future. When countless other approaches haven’t worked for me, they have made a really viable solution available specifically for the common issues facing cyclists.

4 Likes

Any more recent info about this? Guys that replyed above about beeing using it. Do you still use it? Any extra considerations? I have been looking at it and kind of give it a try for a month or two.

I have been using it for about 4 months now.
I’m doing the daily stretching and mobility, as well as the strength training (3x/week).

I like it a lot. After my rides, I just turn it on, follow the video and be done.

I pay roughly 7 EUR/month. IMO, that’s nothing compared to what you get in return.

Could I come up with my own stretching and strength plans? Probably. But I’m not going to bother given the low cost of this subscription.

1 Like

I usually incorporate some yoga poses into my core work, but that’s as much stretching as I do on a weekly basis.

You would probably get more out of a yoga program than a daily feed of stretches.

Hmm. I was initially curious about DC since it keeps popping up in my feeds but after seeing the 3+ first-time posters who signed up to this forum just to post here, sing praise and then leave forever has unfortunately shifted DC into the BS category for me.

4 Likes

I have joined and have found it useful… mainly as it provides some structure and variety to my usual stretches. It is just another tool and by no means a must have in my opinion.

1 Like

I find it really useful - partly for accountability but also for incorporating stretches that I wouldn’t typically do.

The strength routines are basic but helpful while we’ve been in lockdown with the gyms closed.

1 Like

Im testing Sufferfest and planning to sign after the free trial because of strenght training that Im liking a lot. Using it just for Strenght training is a bitt too much once It will add about 10€ a month but Ill have also yoga and mental coaching available besides their bike workouts whenever i want do diversify. My question is from those that use or used Dynamic Cyclist and tryed out Sufferfest what do you think about both in terms of beeing more interesting for strenght and stretching/Yoga?

I’ve just discovered his stuff. It’s really good. I’ve been digging back thorugh some of his podcasts, inlcuding Wise Athletes and Fast Talk.

1 Like

Thanks for that…never heard of her before, but was interested in a quick set of yoga workouts I could do. Looks like thee is enough stuff in her YouTube channel to satisfy my needs for now

1 Like

I’m a HUGE fan of what Dynamic Cycling has to offer. I use both the Stretching and Strength training routines. The video quality is fantastic and makes following along very easy. Individual stretching routines last about 20mins on average and target body areas often neglected or ignored by cyclists. If you suffer from tight hips and lower back and under-utilized glutes and hamstrings, the stretching programs are 100% on target and very restorative. I mix the strength training sessions into the weight work I do, and again they are a fantastic complement to any cycling specific training program. Neglected muscle group activation is a big part of what they offer and after using Dynamic Cycling for only 5 weeks, I have notice a massive difference with how I feel on and off the bike. If you are looking for an easy, enjoyable way to positively introduce flexibility and core/strength training to your cycling program, I have yet to see a better product on the market.

2 Likes

I had it for a while. It’s a quality program. It just didn’t . . . . Motivate me to do it every day. So I cancelled.

I struggle with my “hip hinge” so being more aero in the drops or using aero bars, did you notice an improvement there in a month?

I did, but I wasn’t really doing any structured strength/activation training prior to starting with their system. For what it’s worth, my original post is almost two years old, and I’m still a subscriber with Dynamic Cyclist… their content has filled out in that time as well. Still works for me.

7 Likes

For me and my wife as well. There are lots of options out there, but its very convenient and we both are much more flexible/mobile after 2 years. Cyclocross remounts are much, much easier now, among other things

2 Likes