Handle bar tape recommendations wanted

My dedicated trainer bike needs a new tape job. Any recommendations an what people like. It has been a while since I got tape.

If it is a dedicated trainer bike I would just go cheap and get the SRAM SuperCork or something similar.

4 Likes

Supacaz sticky kush…

…and a towel!

3 Likes

I ride w/out gloves 99% of the time (the 1% is when it’s below 45* or when it’s raining). I’ve been a fan of the Fizik Performance bar tape. 3mm thick Soft Touch.

I had a lovely tryst with Lizard Skins 2.5 and 3.2 tape and liked it a lot but not as much as the Fizik. I just got a little antsy and wanted to explore my options.

Fizik knew I’d come crawling back . . . I did.

1 Like

My goto is the Cannondale Synapse 3.5mm tape (they also make a 2.5mm, but I prefer thicker). It holds up to abuse, has a nice foamy feel, and absorbs moisture really well. Not the cheapest tape, but not terribly priced either… about $20-22.

1 Like

Another Supacaz vote.

1 Like

Supacaz is great but I wouldn’t spend the money to out it on a dedicated trainer bike. I got so cheap synthetic cork tape from Amazon. It cushions enough and don’t have to worry about its durability leaning it against walls etc.

4 Likes

+1 to this and feel free to end the thread now. Best bar tape. Ever.

2 Likes

I like my lizard skins.

3 Likes

Great tape, but why would you spend the money for it on a trainer bike?

2 Likes

Put some Giant contact SL tape on my dedicated trainer bike…only $20. Super sticky and been on for a year and it looks brand new.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contact-sl-handlebar-tape

1 Like

Fizik Microtex will be very long lasting and easy to clean. I am surprised. It has been years literary and it still looks OK. It is quite thin, though, you might want to add some padding.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. These weren’t on my radar. I’ll check them out.

Hey one more to throw out there that I like and now use is Black Inc. It’s a lot like Supacaz. Tacky, grippy and wears well unlike Lizard skin. Lizard Skin (at least a few years ago) felt great right up until the top layer peels off.

Only bummer is the cost. But, like saddles and shoes, not a place to worry too much about $$.

1 Like

I really rate Fabric Knurl bar tape. Looks very tidy, well cushioned with good grip. Nice and stretchy and strong, making it easy to wrap. Have had Lizard skins DSP before a couple of times, feels good but not particularly durable in my experience.

2 Likes

+1 for Fizik Performance bar tape 3mm thick Soft Touch! It has a felt like feeling and doesn’t get slippery w/o gloves. It does get pretty salty though. I’ve also tried the Fizik Performance classic and couldn’t stand it.

I have some Lizard Skins on now as I wanted to try it out. I do like it a lot, but will be heading back to Fizik Soft Touch as well. And you can get it for like $11-13 at Merlin or ProBikeKit.

1 Like

I found a deal on Amazon for this. Very comfy. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

1 Like

Great, glad to hear! Enjoy :blush:

Who doesn’t want their bike to look fantastic?

I’ve had success with Cinneli Gel Cork tape, but my vote for best tape goes to Fizik performance tape. I’ve never seen white tape stay that white and clean that easy before in my life. I’ve also used the SRAM SuperCork for some cheap stuff and its good too.

I absolutely hated supacaz though. It wouldn’t stretch well enough to get a tight wrap on the drops, the 2 tone part started to rip at the slightest amount of pressure, and it got uncleanably dirty after 2 rides. Way too expensive for that kind of performance.