Hammer power supply is dunzo

They are out of them on the Cyclops website (weak!!)…Do yall think it would be an issue just ordering one Amazon (same specs)? I really needed a ride tonight after a crap day at the office!

(if you are reading this Cycops rep, will my warranty be messed with)

1 Like

If you match the output specs it’ll be fine. You’ll have to match the end plug that goes into the trainer. Check that’s a standard size or you may have to get medieval with your blown power supply plug and hack it onto the new one.

3 Likes

Had issues with my Cyclops Hammer, all pointed to the power supply. Checked output with a volt meter and it was pushing out power. Appears the socket in my cyclops is a bit dodgy, every few months it requires a wiggle. So if not already checked, bear that in mind!

One day I’ll get around to fixing it, when warranty expires… not worth the hassle of a return and being without it for a week!

Good news! Cycleops came through and was able to find a power supply and hopefully it will ship out today. Great service on their part

3 Likes

Hi guys,

I’m having some strange issues with the cord or socket. Sometimes the status LED is off, sometimes red and when i wiggle the cord or the plug it finally jumps to green. Is that something you were experiencing too?

1 Like

Yes, think the location of the plug isn’t great and all to easy to knock and damage. Either that or some design issue.

Like I mentioned before, something is possibly loose inside, dodgy wire connection or something similar on my one, will get around to checking/fixing once warranty expires. It’s only needed re plugging /wriggling a few times in last 3 months so for me its not worth the hassle of a return.

If yours is still under warranty and doing it lots then I would go down the warranty route asap.

Just an update. In the end my plug was completely broken. As I’m living on a small island, sending the trainer in was no real option. I also was quite sure that the problem was with the plug or cable.

So I went to some electrician, showed him the power supply and he removed the plug and installed a new one. It’s a standard 5.5 mm x 2.1 mm connector. Did cost me less than $2. Now everything works like a charm again.

1 Like

Thanks for update… might get one of those ordered in for when I get around to replacing the plug and socket… in the last 3 months it’s gone off twice, annoying as you can lose 30 seconds in a Zwift event, wriggling it again an it comes back on… far from ideal !

1 Like

Yeah, before i could wiggle and wiggle. Now it sits tight again. So it was the plug and not the connector inside the trainer.

1 Like

Can anybody give me the power supply specs for the [HAMMER/MAGNUS POWER SUPPLY] They want to charge me $50.00 for a simple power supply. Help please…

It’s worth a look through @dcrainmaker’s review of the unit - I found a nice photo of the PS details for a kickr that way. I don’t know if he does this for every review, but it was very useful for me.
I ended up not having to replace mine, but did find that sourcing the exact model used was more difficult and expensive than I expected - it was going to be $25-$30 for a 12v power brick. There is a huge variation in quality in these things, so sticking with what the vendor ships (whether you buy it from them or someone else) is a reasonable to get something of reasonable quality.
And if you think this is bad, Wahoo wants $80 for a replacement Kickr belt…

Haha…yup, I do it in every single trainer/bike review for a slightly more self-centered reason:

It allows me to figure out which darn power supply is which months later. I’ve been trying to remember to cut out a snippet of the manual or something with the name of the trainer on it, and then I usually tape it to the brick. But I often forget.

Either way, I know it’s helpful to others. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I keep a silver Sharpie marker close and label all bricks as soon as I open them. Had that mixup once and pledged to not let it happen again.

I even put colored electrical tape on the open end that goes into the devices, so I can quickly connect trainers and not risk grabbing the wrong one. (Yellow for Saris/CycleOps, White for Wahoo, Blue for Tacx and I don’t have one, but I’d use red for Elite).

I can’t imagine the brick hell that Ray has to deal with, yikes.

Can someone share the output power specs of the hammer 1 power brick? I’ve misplaced mine and am wondering if my kickr snap power brick will work in its place?

My H1 power brick:

Output 48v 1.25A 60W
Middle positive, outer plug negative.

2 Likes

Here is the power supply from an H3 - similar specs (1.25A instead of 1.5), but might be easier to find as it is a more current model.
Saris may be able to tell you if the original Hammer really needs 1.5A or if 1.25 is enough.

My mistake, H1 is 1.25A as well… I was reading the input, which is 1.5A

The Kickr Power brick I have is 12 volts. Looks like the Hammer is 48 volts. I’ve successfully run my Kickr 17 off a 12 volt battery. If the Kickr Snap is the same specs, no it won’t work for something requiring 48 volts.

Thanks everyone! I’ve ordered a 48v 1.25a power supply.

Thank you for the information, I have been wiggling and juggling the power supply for months. Today it finally didn’t hold the wiggle.

I have googled and googled and finallly stumbled on this thread and what a thread!

Problem solved and ordered another power supply! Thank you for all the information!

1 Like