Group Workout Room Code Sharing

Shame - I have monitor tomorrow. Looks like we might both be on sweet spot base low volume. Didn’t get round to discussing training plans when we rode together briefly yesterday evening/morning!

Did anyone join you?

I just created a new test event without trouble. Will you post a screenshot of your calendar event creation window @MGS?

Testing - Testing - Testing: Ignore this post please

Testing whether we can embed a view of the shared Google Calendar directly in the forum???

2 Likes

Looks like yes!

@mcneese.chad, @SamMose have a look at this. In addition to the instructions at the top of the topic we could embed a view like this of the calendar itself. Downside is it only displays in one set timezone (I set it to UTC for the moment), whereas if users view the calendar on their own with the link they’ll see their own timezone always. But, it does at least show the current time with the thin red line.

2 Likes

Anyone want to get together for a z2 recovery ride today (Pettit, Beech, Volunteer, etc.)? I’m flexible on time and duration as I’m at home all day, every day, lol.

Reply if interested.

2 Likes

@dcrainmaker, I have a possible workaround for doing different and custom workouts with the Group Workout as a portal

In your case, run the custom on mobile or another desktop, while running a regular workout on the GW TR session. Unpaired, you cans still hit play and let people follow that workout or they can do the hack.

You could also use their team function, to share your custom workout, so people could access there, and run with the hack on their side.

All a fair bit of work to setup, but it should work until TR unlocks custom ones natively.

1 Like

I have Carter on the calendar, but anything Z2 60 mins or less is fine by me.

Rolling around 6PM MDT, and hoping to test with another local rider, so let me know of that time works.

1 Like

Very cool. Let me review this at work and I will likely add it for now, to see how it works.

1 Like

I am riding Virginia today. Sometime after 12 noon est.

What happens if the “room” is full (only 4 people up to now) it sets up another room?
Let’s say tomorrow Tunnabora at 12:30.

No, at the moment I think it’ll simply be full :frowning: We’re trying to suggest attendees email their event “hosts” to get added to the invite. Then others have visibility about space. In the end the TR function is just first-come-first-serve though, so that’s a risk with our communal, open sharing of codes - it could get so popular people get locked out.

1 Like

Yeah, that looks perfect. Sometimes Google has buginess. Have you tried logging out of your Google account and then logging back in?

1 Like

Is there a general FAQ post about group workouts? I’m late to the party and this is already a hefty thread to wade through. I’m thining specifically of questions such as what if I’m the host of a ride and am running late? If somebody gets disconnected from a ride does that allow someone to join in their place? Can spots be reserved for ‘real’ friends and remaining spots opened up or is it always first come first served approach?
Apologies if these have been answered elsewhere.

on the calendar that is made via google calendar you can always add your “friends” in there so if people look at it they know how many are there. I guess in the title as well you can always say the workout and how many people are confirmed already.

Just added Baxter -2 to the calendar at 12:30 est if anyone wants to join @Nate_Pearson @MGS . Code: 3mcma3

@mcneese.chad on the calendar i see the blue and orange. I am guessing it is not supposed to be like that.

1 Like

That works, if you can go any earlier that would be great, that’s currently 8pm for me. If not that’s fine, let me know either way.

I’m guessing one of those colors (the blue maybe?) is your own, personal calendar being displayed, and the other (the orange maybe?) is your view of the shared calendar. You can toggle either calendar’s visibility and you’ll see. So when you schedule an event it will appear both in your calendar and the shared calendar.

1 Like

makes sense

I have not read the entirety of what TR provided, but the main forum post and blog that I linked in the OP above may contain parts of your questions.

• Assuming the planned host shared the room code in advance, anyone can be the actual “host”. The host is the very first person to launch with the given code. So, if a host is late, and anyone with that joins, they will be the host. The only real host capability is the play/pause control. It really doesn’t matter who the host is as long as everyone is communicating and ready to roll.
  • Assuming the room had the 5 rider cap, and one rider leaves or gets disconnected, the new opening is available for them or any other person to rejoin. The only requirement is that the person wanting to join must have the room code.
  • No, there is no explicit reservation function, it is First Come, First Join. If you share with a specific list of desired attendees, and also share it openly, it’s possibly to hit the limit of secondary riders, before the desired ones join. In this event, I would suggest that the last unplanned person to join be asked to leave to make room for the other planned attendee. We just need to be considerate here.
  • One option that I am testing, is to invite my desired friends in the Google Calendar (see my Disaster -2 ride this Saturday), in the Guests section. This should help indicate to any other “open” viewers to see those invites, and estimate if there are more open slots still. We could try to get people to exchange more emails to reserve a spot, but I see that as optional, and totally up to the desire of the “open” person trying to hold a spot.
3 Likes

On a normal day. if I hustle, I can roll 15 minutes earlier.

But not sure I can guarantee that today. We got snow and the roads are a bit messy, which slows my return home. I may also have some obligation related to a friend with a hospital visit.

All that is to say, this might not be the right match for today. I will update through the day if I learn anything more.

1 Like