Getting a used bike from a Pro Tour Team - no warranty, no guarantee, no refund. Still worth it?

So I’m getting into the market of finally getting a decent bike. One of the possibilities that has been pointed out to me is the option of getting a used race bike from a Pro World Tour Team sell out. On face value the bike is a steal. The resale value of the components is more then enough to stop and think about getting one.

But… and it’s a big BUT

1. the bike comes with no warranty
  2. there is no guarantee the bike/frame is not damaged
  3. the terms state that you basically are buying an unknown with no possibility of a refund even if the bike has defects
  4. you can’t sue or claim anything from both the team nor the manufacturer in the instance of a crash directly caused by a damaged bike

You basically can’t do anything if the bike/frame turns out to be a turd.

So is it still worth it? Do teams sell off damaged bikes or is this a case of selling of old models and the team would never sell a crashed/damaged bike?

Has anyone ever bought a bike from a Pro Team? Did anyone ever have any problems? Was it money wasted?

I’ve got a 2017/18 lotto soudal ridley Noah SL. This bike was immaculate, it had clearly not been ridden much/at all. was super cheap too. I had a good experience, but I can’t say I will/you will be as lucky.

Why not go and see the bike? ask for pics?

1 Like

All those things apply to any used bike but at least from World Tour team you’re getting something that was professionally maintained at a very high level and they are not going to sell you a piece of crap and embarrass a major sponsor. If you are going to go used, this sounds like a good way to go if you have the hook up.

6 Likes

Where do you find these bikes? I would love to look for some Pro World Tour bikes…

1 Like

That’s one source. Bought a frame from them last year which was ex-team issue but had never actually been built up and used. Great price, quick service, would definitely consider buying used from them. Seem to have a bunch of used Sky bikes at the moment which I guess isn’t surprising given the rebranding to Ineos!

1 Like

Where did you get your Noah from @noahphence? I’m lusting after a helium disc as my next bike.

As mentioned above, this is no different than buying a used bike elsewhere (Pinkbike, Facebook, Craigslist, eBay, etc). Except that in some cases you get to see or ride them in person before hand.

FWIW, I’ve bought 5 used bikes or framesets (and two sets of carbon wheels) in the past off 8-ish years of just pics and a little communication with the seller. They’ve all turned out well for me. But others may have different experiences.

1 Like

One of our local bike shops in Austin was the team shop for Radioshack back in the day and I remember them selling the bikes and frames. Condition varied dramatically, some were obviously training bikes with a bunch of miles and pretty dinged up (but nothing that concerned me). They were a smoking deal and I would have bought one as a backup frame, but they had cut seat posts and I couldn’t find one to fit me. One of my teammates bought one and rode it for years and he left the original name sticker on it. I can’t remember who’s bike it was, but it was a pretty big name pro. Kind of cool. Cut steerer tubes and seat posts would be my main point of concern from a fit perspective, but that’s an issue on any used bike. It’s just tough if you can’t get the details before you buy. I wouldn’t worry too much about getting a damaged frame. They aren’t going to intentionally sell a wrecked/damaged frame.

1 Like

There is no way to see the bike unfortunately. You basically place an order via the team’s site and when a matching (size) bike is available then they ship it out to you via airfreight from Spain after the payment has cleared. The pictures are just generic beauty shots with information that you will get a bike which is of similar or matching spec and value as the one shown.

I guess it will be different in different countries but at least where I love you still get some protection by law from buying defected used goods which the seller did not inform you about. If you know about the defects, the seller told you about them and you got it anyway then that is a different story. But if you are led to believe that the goods are fine, but they turn out to be not as described then you can potentially get you money back.

That is one of the definite PRO’s of buying from them, if the frame is not damaged then it is very likely that the bike as a whole had a seriously pro maintenance regime applied. It should be in really good condition… hypothetically at least :wink:

1 Like

Yeh, @tomski86 I believe you still have the 14 days as guaranteed by Polish/EU law. So if it’s a total POS, you have some recourse.

I also wanted to add that unless you’ve got money burning a hole in your pocket - why not wait until 2020 is over? The bikes from this season are going to have seen a lot less racing than last…

2 Likes

Bought it on ebay. Not sure who from, they were just selling the one.

I would be hesitant then, I knew the bike I was buying was in mint condition, I would not have bought a use used bike, Pro’s tend to crash a lot, and they just press on and keep riding. I’d save your pennies and buy something later or wait til you can find one where you get to see the quality. No point taking the lottery on the bikes imo.

C’mon guys it’s just a bike.:rofl:

No seriously…

There is also https://efbike.com/

Waiting for the SystemSix to come back into stock. Does anyone know of other teams off-loading disc based aero bikes? I’ve been fortunate enough to land a new role after being made redundant (UK) so want to treat myself with part of my severance package.

2 Likes

I purchased a Specialized Venge that belonged to Mark Renshaw. When he left Etixx Quick-Step they sold his bikes. The $6,000 price was well worth it. The bike was beautiful and had all high-end components as you’d expect. It’s also cool to have a bike that was on the world tour and ridden by an amazing athlete. It still has his name on it with all the team markings. I get a phone call every time someone works on it asking why it has Mark’s name. Those no guarantee clauses are from the lawyers. The team wouldn’t even have a bike that was damaged. They’d strip the components, throw away the frame and get a new frame.