General maintenance/tips for Wahoo Kickr Snap

Hi everyone. My brother gifted me his Wahoo Kickr Snap and I want to know if there’s any maintenance I should do to extend the trainer’s longevity. Any general tips? Thanks!

It’s a fairly robust unit, but I did the following a while ago and did not have to come back yet:

• Grease the thread of the drum tightening knob
  • Lube the pin that extends to lock wheel in place
  • You can also lube the threaded pin on the opposite side if you adjust it often
  • Tighten pressure cups that go over the QR (there is a small hex head). If these are too loose, they may “eat” themselves out and detach.
  • Use tire that is gentle on the drum (trainer specific tires seem to damage the drum, I use cheap Vittoria Rubino (older model) instead and it has been great)

Anything else…

1 Like

I’ve used a Tacx trainer tire on my Snap for 15 months without issue. I’m not sure how a rubber trainer tire made for that exact purpose and intention would “damage” the drum.

I have the older first generation SNAP and, when I asked, Wahoo told me to keep the drum clean with alcohol when needed.

I like the list mentioned by @nordic and will look at doing those tasks as well.

Also, I use a Continental trainer tire that works well.

1 Like

I also wipe down the tire and drum with rubbing alcohol a couple times a month.

1 Like

My apologies, didn’t mean all trainer tires damage the drum. I used Vittoria trainer tire and it pitted the drum. They are made of hard compound to resist wear and heat, but they may eat into the drum. Can also observe the tire surface getting metallized, in such cases, worth wiping or lightly sanding it off, same as with rim brake pads.