Garmin Virb Data Overlays

I’m curious if Virb Edit works in MacOS ventura. Anyone know?

Crazy that as soon as Virb Edit is no longer able to be used, the category is pretty much dead. I know there are alternatives, on windows, but not willing to go there. And nothing is as simple.

1 Like

For whatever’s worth, I’ve found Telemetry Overlay easier to use than Virb, and it works on Mac. Pricy, though.

1 Like

I just pick which graphs I like in VIRB edit then save my template to reuse each video. I’ve never imported gages/graphs or templates into VIRB.

Maybe I’ll make a video on it soon.

2 Likes

Here’s how I do mine. Speaking only from Mac perspective in the workflow here. https://www.youtube.com/cycleanalyze

front power bank mount

front power bank

rear power bank

pass through door
https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts-accessories/usb-pass-through-door/ADCOD-001.html

Enduro batteries
https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts-accessories/enduro-extended-cold-weather-battery-2-pack/ADBAT-211.html

Microphone muffs to quiet wind noise
https://a.co/d/f8jx8kN

fastest dual card reader

512gb SandDisk V30 micro SD
https://a.co/d/25j228D

External NVME enclosure
https://a.co/d/1u4OhdI

High capacity NVME
https://a.co/d/cf1W45K

software

Losslesscut: used to quickly stitch together gopro files, or export clips quickly

Garmin Virb

DaVinci Resolve

Amphetamine for Mac to stop machine from going to screensaver or sleep

Macs Fan Control - increase fan speed if you think your machine will thermal throttle in long renders (it probably will)

Process

RECORDING

1. Get both Hero10 cameras powered up and ready to record.

2. Simultaneously press record on camera 1, camera 2, and the garmin. If you start these all at the same time, you do not need to mess around with syncronizing the video and the fit file.

3. After you start recording, plug in the power banks to the gopro.

4. Go for a ride, and when done, hit stop on the gopros, then the garmin.

5. Unplug power banks from the GoPros, and wait for them to power down.

PROCESSING

1. Remove memory cards from the GoPros, and insert them into the card reader, and plug into your computer.

2. Open one of the memory cards, go to the DCIM folder, select the videos you want to merge.

3. Open Losslesscut, drag all the videos into Losslesscut, and click the merge button. Name and save to destination of choice. If you have two memory cards and the dual card reader, you can make a copy of Losslesscut and have two versions of the same program running and process the other card without it taking more time to merge the files. The throughput on each card is the bottlneck, not the reader or CPU power obviously.

4. Get the fit file from your ride and copy it to the destination folder where the videos you merged exist.

5. Open virb, import the merged file. Then import the fit file. Flip the video if it is upside down. mine always show that way in Virb. In the G-Metrix section, make sure the start time is correct. Mine are always at least 5 minutes off. Move the slider all the way to the left.

6. In the Editing section of Virb, apply the template you have made already. Do a cursory check to make sure things line up.

7. Export the video. Since I have the GoPros recording at max quality and 2.7k, I select 2.7k, 60fps, and Quality Custom with the Mbps to no less than the original Mbps of 100. It doesn’t have to match, but it should be no less. Make sure you’ve set your mac to not go to sleep or engage screen saver. Either of these will pause the virb render. A 1 hour 2.7k 60fps video will take at least 35 minutes on a very fast Mac. Make sure you have sufficient disk space plus a bunch extra or Virb will say insufficient disk space. I cannot find a pattern but it has said that when the volume I chose has at least 100gb of free space after the render.

PROCESSING PART 2 if you’re doing picture in picture

1. Open DaVinci Resolve and double click untitled project

2. Import video 1 and drag to timeline. Import video 2 and drag to timeline.

3. Mute audio from one of the two cameras that you started at the same time.

4. Select the video that is going to be the smaller picture in picture. Hit Transform button, and transform. I use .32 size.

5. Position it at x 908.00 and Y 508.00

6. Apply a drop shadow from effects shadow strength 0.400, drop angle 37.5, drop distance 0.015, blur 0.375

7. Save fhe file, but copy the title before you hit ok.

8. Go to delivery tab at the bottom, and do custom (save your settings as a template!). I’ve included a screenshot of the settings that I saved. This is where you paste in the name of the project as a filename. Add to Render Queue.

9. Hit Render all

10. Go to MacsFanControl and jack up the fans. Even the new Apple Silicon will thermally throttle because the fans are not made to spin high enough. I verified this with the free tool Mx Power Gadget seense | Mx Power Gadget by MenuBar Stats. On a 16" M1Max, 4200rpm is fine. You can see more detailed temperature info using TG Pro TG Pro: Temperature Monitoring & Advanced Fan Control

YOUTUBE section

Upload the video. Or use Losslesscut again to find just the parts you want to upload and export them out. Takes no time at all. Get AT&T fiber so they upload in minutes not hours.

Add chapters to the video!

00:00 always is the start then go from there

Wait for the videos to process. Tell all your friends. Be happy if even one person looks at them.

10 Likes

I need to get back to this, but wow, thanks so much!

Do you know how long you get out of the battery + charger? I have enduro batteries and the Hero 11. I have the passthrough door but I also have the media mod which has a USB port behind a little rubber cover. I think I get close to an hour (on the battery alone) and have been messing with the setting where it stops recording after a specified time. That way I can get more video of pretty descents and less video of me breathing hard while going 5mph.

I forgot the most time I have ever gotten but reliably 3.5+ hours with the power banks and enduro combo. Settings of high bit rate, 60fps, 2.7k HEVC+h.264, stabilization off.

2 Likes

Yeah for sure on this. I was doing similar things before deciding it was just a pain to have to mess with it and then the editing was a pain trying to line up video and map, so now I just press start and stop and have a huge video. Virb it and then slice out the fun stuff into clips with losslesscut and eventually just trash the big complete video.

The nice thing about losslesscut is it merges the files and exports the clips without any re encoding. So it’s super fast and doesn’t degrade the original in any way. The program saves hours of time if you need to merge or export clips.

1 Like

Ok checked this today

4 hour 21 minute ride

Front camera
Knog + enduro combo: whole thing, 7% remaining in the enduro, knog dead.

Rear camera
Died at 4:08

So more than I thought

1 Like

This is an amazingly detailed summary for us complete newbies - thank you kindly! :pray:

3 Likes

Where do you guys mount your camera? I want to try a helmet mount. I watched a few videos and it’s a really cool perspective. For those that have done this, is the weight noticeable? And where on the helmet do you guys mount it?

I have it mounted under my Garmin out front mount. Cheap and secure.

2 Likes

I posted a video in the like second or 3rd post here, but no I don’t have that. I have a dji action 3 l, and the rocksteady feature does an amazing job of keeping the image still.

2 Likes

This is my current setup. Just looking for something new. I tried on top of the bars but didn’t like seeing my computer and shifters taking up most of the field.

2 Likes

A chest mount is always a decent choice but probably end up with the bard and stuff taking some of the space as well.

I think I’d rather mount it on my helmet than use a mouth mount, but he makes some good points

“It can get pretty unsanitary from chewing on it all the time…” - I think I’d be more worried about ‘your mate’s grubby mitts’ being all over it before you stuck it in your mouth.

:face_vomiting:

I like the POV with the “chesty” (horrible name), but I find I move around a lot so it seems like a lot of my video is pointed too far down. The best thing about mounting under the bike computer is that I can just aim it once and tighten it and it stays there even on bumpier gravel rides.

1 Like

I bought a chest mount too but haven’t used it with fear of that exact problem. On group rides I’m moving around a bunch so it’ll be too far up or down sometimes. Helmet is probably best behind computer mount.

1 Like

Just saw this from Specialized with Peter Sagan and Daniel Oss. Love the simplicity overlay but also the various mounting points like under the downtube near the water bottles. Daniel has the helmet mount view while Peter has the seat mount too.

1 Like