Garmin Rally Power Meter Pedals: Look Road, Shimano Road & MTB

Not impossible but this would be the only component to ever in such a way. I’ve never broken another component. They’ve had standard wear and tear, but I just don’t ride things into the ground like some users. Wheels, tires, brakes/pads for example being the things i’m considering most here as ‘likely to break’.

I would expect a mtb designed component that’s $700 to also hold up to a root strike no matter the situation.

It seems you are a wahoo user too, could you do me favor or anyone really, check if yours show Torque Eff, or Pedal Smoothness?

I post this in a separate thread but got no answers:

So I just got the dual sided Rally PM and it seems like it doesn’t show Torque Effectiveness, Pedal Smoothness only L/R Balance.

I tried googling but not a lot came up, except that it seems like it the same with Karoo useres. Could any one of you confirm that his is the case for you too and my pedals aren’t the outlier.

You’ve to enable them in garmin connect app as far as I recall. I didn’t have them by default in my Garmin edge 830, but after changing the setting, they both display.

Where would that setting be? Can’t find it in the connect app.

while i haven’t had any of the experiences you mention, i am concerned about support for these. i’ve noticed that they’re still on the same firmware since launch. now that’s not necessarily a bad thing if everything was great out of the box, but i see all sorts of reports of issues with calibration, accuracy, temperature etc.
for them to be on the market for 2-3 months now with no updates at all is concerning to me

Checked out my garmin rally pedals and edge 830 to see how it was setup. It wasn’t in garmin connect app. It was in the sensors menu, when the rally pedals are selected, there are few different menus there on the edge, one of them has cycling dynamics. Torque Eff and Pedal Smoothness can be enabled under that submenu. I assume that wahoo should be able to communicate with the rally pedals and get these menus too.

I’m getting some odd data results from by Garmin Rally MTB pedal. Avg power and TSS seem much lower than they should be. I have a ride I do often in the evenings down a local biking trail out and back that is about 1 hour. I have done this ride a hundred times or more so I’m very familiar. On my road bike with a Stages left side Gen 3 meter I get avg power of around 160 watts and a TSS of about 60. On my gravel bike which weighs 3 lbs more and has 40mm gravel tires I get power around 135-140 watts and TSS of about 35. Same distance and time. Logic says it should take MORE power to move the gravel bike over the same course in the same time and my perceived effort tells me the same. I have calibrated the Garmin each time and even re-calibrated mid-ride. There has been no firmware update to apply. I am using Shimano cleats and have used two different pair of shoes with no change.
I understand different power meters will measure differently but this difference seems far to big to be accurate. Is anyone else seeing anything like this?

Yes I have a stages power meter on one bike and the other has garmin xc rally pedals. There is definitely a 10-15 watt difference, I think it’s mainly due too the power being measured at your foot compared to the arm.
I assume garmin power numbers would be more accurate than a crank arm based power meter. I’m not sure but I have seen the same difference as you have.

Edit: I have done a ftp test using both at the same time and it was 12 watt difference.

1 Like

There is no power loss between these two locations, so differences are not due to location but rather to measurement accuracy. Is the Stages PM dual-sided?

2 Likes

No they are both one sided.

My xc100s read low compared to both my Quarq and my Kickr. I’m trying to see if the difference is consistent. As long as the xc’s are reliably accurate (or is it precise or consistent) from ride to ride, the only thing hurt is my ego seeing lower watts.

My XC200 pedals also read low compared to my Neo and 4iiis.

Have used the scale factor (in the Garmin Connect app) to try to get them closer to your 4iii and Neo. Or are you just living with it?

1 Like

I’m going to try this now! I’m new to some power meter things and I’ll see if this helps. Why I like this forum , Thanks :pray:

Yes, I scaled it. I really don’t care what the number is as long as it’s consistent so I can track.

I know the Neo uses an algorithm. Aren’t small differences normal from power meter to power meter? Also, wouldn’t a pedal-based possibly read different than a crank based? I’ve just switched to my Rally’s and using them as my new baseline for everything.

Cheers

It was a big difference, like the poster above

What I’ve seen so far is this using the DC Analyzer tool. My Rally’s match my KICKR Core almost perfectly. They run low compared to my Neo (first generation). So far none of it concerns me too much. They seem consistent to themselves and reasonable from what I’m seeing so far. Just my experience in the last month.

My Rally RS200 are very close to my Neo 2t when it comes to AVG and NP, but there can be a difference when it comes to max power, but that’s a known issue with power meters since they will sample data at different periods and avg it out over a time frame, so the peaks will never exactly align. Unlike my dual 4iiii (ultegra), the right side was all over the place.

After reading @triggerdog’s post, I checked my battery caps and the left side was half a turn loose, right side was tight. I’m going check them every week or 2 from now on.

I would use my Rally’s as a basil me but they are 10-15% lower than my Kickr and Quarq. Did a ride yesterday and here are the readings from all three:

Quarq AP 222, NP 229

Kicker AP 223, NP 228

Rally AP 192, NP 198

So Quarq and Kickr very close but Rally is reading very low. I’ve opened a ticket with Garmin support and sent them multiple ride files.